Sunday, June 5, 2016

Lou Box Top(s) for the summer

Hello! It was a busy May due to Me-Made-May. I posted to my Instagram daily but it was too much to hope I would be so organized as to blog as well!

Now I am playing catch-up with new me-mades from May (and I have a "few" - ahem). The biggest "find" for me was re-discovering the Lou Box Top from  Sew DIY.  Last year I had made my first one with some scrap fabric in a size M-L.  I thought it was ok but felt it wasn't hanging quite right. This time I decided to try sizing down to the XS-S and it's perfect for me. I love this pattern now.

To start, I made this Lou Box Top hack as I only had one meter of this lovely linen from Merchant & Mills.  I first cut the top using an adjustment line that's already in the pattern so I am cropping it. Then I cut two rectangular pieces along the selvedge to add a peplum (is that the right term?) to this. This also allowed me to capitalize on the lovely selvedge so it was one of those unplanned but happy circumstances.
It doesn't look like much on the hanger but it does look better on!  I love this top!
The second one actually started life as another pattern which did not work for me at all. I ended up taking the Lou Box Top for the "refashion".  The sleeves aren't exactly the same but it works and saved me from donating it. 
Lastly, I made this wonderful (at least to me) two piece. The top is Lou Box Top of course, and the skirt is the Easy Gathered Skirt by Pattern Runway. I've made it before and it's a keeper!  The linen (!) I loved the minute I saw it on IG. It's called Agnes Check from Merchant & Mills. I'm glad I snagged some as it sold out pretty quickly. I decided on a two piece to get more mileage out of the 2 meters of fabric. I was inspired by Ace & Jig in this choice of fabric!
I am, a bit miffed at myself for not checking the pattern placement more and I didn't really see that lighter strip down the center of the skirt (front and back). It's not until I take these photographs that I think "oh I wish it wasn't there (the lighter strip)". Oh well. I was just thinking of squeezing the top and skirt out of the 2 meters and that's what I gotta live with.

These are definitely things I will wear. I am wearing the plaid top right now. I still want to put a little pocket on it though. I had one but wasn't happy with it and ripped it out.

That's it for now. I'll be back soon with another post. Hope you are all well and enjoying some summer weather. It's been cool for a bit and now it's like someone turned on the furnace!

Take care!



15 comments:

  1. You have been a busy sewing bee! The peplum top is really cute and the outfit in the Agnes Check is super (the fabric is so fabulous).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have made a lot in May knowing I will be slowing down a bit this month. I love that fabric too and am looking for more plaid linen to play with!

      Delete
  2. The plaid looks lovely on you. I didn't notice the light section until you mentioned it. I have been thinking about a two piece like this but was stuck for fabric ideas. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I am glad you didn't notice. I didn't neither until I saw the photo. Maybe it's the "standing still" that does it!

      Delete
  3. I'm amazed at the way you can whip up these outfits with such seeming ease, Melissa! Really love the checked top (I LOVE checks/gingham--such a clean look) and am glad you were able to salvage the fabric to make a second top in the tan fabric.

    Your top and skirt are darling on you--such a great fabric. (So, if it's linen, does that mean you can cross stitch on any scraps? Ha Ha!!)

    Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Carol! My cross stitch days may be over unless I revert back to aida cloth I think!

      Delete
  4. You were so busy during May with these lovely new pieces, Melissa. The tops are so beautiful on you, and versatile, too. And the two piece with the skirt is just wonderful. Such great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pieces, Melissa. I totally love the two-piece made of this amazing blue checked linen - it looks so fresh and it perfectly suites you.

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the matching skirt and top. I have made the same "mistake" as you so many times. I often regret it afterwards but can rarely justify the "waste" of fabric at the time. I don't think it matters, and you will get lots of wear from the two pieces with other garments. Lovely work as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I have learned I will check more carefully next time.

      Delete
  7. I love the matching skirt and top. I have made the same "mistake" as you so many times. I often regret it afterwards but can rarely justify the "waste" of fabric at the time. I don't think it matters, and you will get lots of wear from the two pieces with other garments. Lovely work as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You hit the proportions perfectly for your top with the peplum. All your sewing is so simple yet inspiring. I know so well the compromises we make when we buy just enough fabric, but your skirt and top look great. Is blue your favourite colour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha, can you tell blue is my favourite colour? Actually, before I started sewing I wouldn't say so. When I was working in the corporate world I wore a lot of neutrals. Now, my eyes are drawn to blues! Thanks for your lovely comments!

      Delete
  9. Everything is wonderful! I love your style -- the clothes you make and wear are my kind of thing! The last outfit is probably my fave. The white strip really doesn't distract from the beauty of the skirt. How great that you are getting some Merchant and Mills fabrics these days too! Very nice! Love linen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merchant and Mills fabrics these days too! Very nice! Love linen.

    gclub

    ReplyDelete