Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Dressing up Lou x 2

Just a couple of days ago, we were in the middle of a heat wave (for our area it was a heat wave!) and I was longing for a summery dress that covered my shoulders more than a tank top dress would. Enter, the Lou Box Top pattern once again, ready for a little pattern hacking.

This pattern has been an unexpected and delightful hit this season for me and I love it to pieces! The first dress version used up 2 meters of Nani Iro fabric that I was saving for a long sleeve top. Well, I guess I couldn't wait.


Basically I used up all 2 meters of this fabric and I would've added a bit more length if I had more yardage.

For my second dress, it was a happy coincidence. I had purchased the last meter of the grey floral Nani Iro fabric on sale, and was pondering making one such dress but I could not find a plain fabric to complement the greenish-grey tinge of the fabric. Then just last week, I stumbled across this skirt that I had made last year (Nani Iro as well) but rarely worn so I decided to remove the waistband, add some in-seam pockets and attach it to the Lou Box top. I used some charcoal linen for the bias binding around the neckline. 

This last dress, fortunately is just past knee length and quite perfect for transitioning into Fall. I want to knit a little brownish-pink cardigan to wear with it!

I love both dresses! Since the skirt had a bit of an a-line to the shape, I ended up with a bit of a tulip shape to the dress which I love too.

If you want to try this yourself, it is super easy. The photo below shows the layout of the Lou Box top pattern pieces. Basically the pattern pieces come where you get changeable bottom sections of different hemline treatments. So, I simply  just use pattern pieces 1 and 2 for the top. Then I cut out lengths for the skirt to whatever length you want. For the blue dress I cut straight across the width of the fabric ( approximately 42") for the width of the skirt but you can make that narrower if you wish.  Then just gather the skirt pieces to the top pieces. You can add patch pockets, or in-seam pockets.

I hope you will get to try this pattern yourself. I simply adore it.I've made it up five times already. If I make two more, I can wear one every day of the week!

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the comments as well as the emails asking about my makes. 

27 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dresses, perfect for the summer! Really love the blue one as it is my favourite colour. The grey contrasting fabric dress is interesting and I love the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue is my favourite colour so I would agree with you! This particular blue is amazing as well! Thanks for your lovely compliments!

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    I love to see what you have sewn lately - and these dresses are so pretty. Mine is the blue one. Blue is totally my color at the moment and I love the flower-design. But also the grey one looks amazing.

    I hope you enjoy a wonderful time (and Summer)

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilda. I`ll stop by your blog and see what you`ve been up to!

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful fabrics and the results are lovely. As you know I really like this style of dress. Can't wait for summer so that I can sew and wear floaty dresses again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bella. I am sure you have inspired me to create this style of dresses. They are so floaty! I will look forward to seeing yours as we swap our seasons!

      Delete
  4. Both dresses are so pretty, Melissa, and I have to say they show up so much better on your blog than on Instagram. Not sure why, but I get a much better sense of what they really look like. You must be know as quite the "fashion plate" around your neighborhood by now with all of these cute new clothes!!

    Enjoy these last days of August...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHaHa to the "fashion plate". They probably think it's that crazy woman again with her colourful clothes!

      Interesting that you find the difference between IG and the blog. You are probably viewing both on your i-Pad so any thoughts on viewing IG on your phone vs the blog on a laptop wouldn't apply. I have more control over the photos on my blog? The grey dress was taken in the same spot, at the same time but one with my phone, the other with my camera...

      Delete
  5. These are so lovely! What inspired sewing. THe second combo is wonderful and fortuitous!
    How do you think your Lou Box Top Dress compares to the Carson? I rather fancy both. Maybe I should try the Lou, as I have that pattern.
    Thank you for your lovely blog - I really enjoy seeing your wonderful pattern and fabric matching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I do love the Carson dress as well. Lou is a bit longer in the body than the Carson and I think a bit narrower. I prefer the Carson with the longer sleeve for Fall as it feels very cozy and very tent like (in the best cozy sense). Lou is my preference for a summer dress. If you've never sewn the Lou Box Top before I would recommend you try a muslin for the top. I ended up with an XS-S where I'd normally take a L-XL in another designer's pattern! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply, Melissa. I was poised to cut out the big size... though I would like something pretty loose, I will rethink and compare to a ready-made to see just how loose I should go!

      Delete
  6. So lovely! The blue fabric is just gorgeous, and the other combination is just perfect. Thanks for the dress hack tips; I will add it to my list pf things to make! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. When I first started sewing I used to wonder why people would make umpteenth versions of the same pattern. Now I know why! Have fun with your list!

      Delete
  7. Exquisite garments! What perfect marriages of fabric(s) and shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is fun figuring that out. Sometimes I buy a fabric for one project only to end up sewing it into something else!

      Delete
  8. Both look fantastic! I can't even imagine altering a pattern like that and putting two pieces together. It must be nice to have the confidence to do things like that! Love the fabrics you used for both dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! It just takes practice to build confidence. I still have lots to learn and believe me, I feel less than confidence in tackling some things like coats!

      Delete
  9. Hi
    Your whole site is so lovely. Pure inspiration for sewing homemade dresses. Am getting addicted too. Love ordering nani iro and getting a parcel from Japan. Can't wait to see your next post xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thanks so much for your kind compliments! I am very glad you are enjoying the blog. I love getting that package from Japan too! What will you make with your Nani Iro?

      Delete
  10. Hi
    Your whole site is so lovely. Pure inspiration for sewing homemade dresses. Am getting addicted too. Love ordering nani iro and getting a parcel from Japan. Can't wait to see your next post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So great, Melissa! Both dresses look so different although they are from the same pattern. It's so cool what you can do when using different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brigitte. I'm finding it a lot of fun to explore making changes to patterns! I only show the winners...you should see the things that didn't work! It's all part of learning...

      Delete
  12. Both of these are wonderful. You have a real eye for fabric and vision for perfect dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise, for your sweet compliments!

      Delete
  13. Hi Melissa, I'm so glad that I stumbled across your blog. I love seeing what you come up with, I love the combination of simple shapes and amazing fabrics! I am about to attempt a Mercury top in a Nani Iro fabric, and I was wondering if you could advise me on how much cloth to order, because the pattern layout is for 140cm wide not 108. Thanks so much for any help you may have to offer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ti, I'm glad you stumbled across my blog too! Thanks for your lovely comments and your question.

      For the Mercury top I am a size 5 and I made view B. I used 2.5m of Nani Iro fabric. Quite a bit of yardage is used for the facing for both the neckline and the hem. I made two tops, one with 2.5m and the other with 2m as that's what I had on hand. For the 2m piece I had to cut the hem and neckline out of another fabric, but it worked out.

      Good luck. If you have any more questions you can always email me (see my profile).

      Delete
  14. Melissa,

    I think you should definitely make two more....I myself am aiming to sew tons of these throw over your head and go dresses...sorta like a uniform....for my days off from being a nurse LOL.

    I love both dresses, but the matching of the colours on your second dress is spot on! What a lovely dress to wear to welcome in autumn!

    ReplyDelete