Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Some new favourites off my sewing machine

Hiya! It's nearly end of June and I'm trying to catch up and sync up with what I've shown on my Instagram account. I think since I've been on IG, this blog just gets a bit neglected. However, there's one good thing about the blog and that is, the photos are taken with a camera on a tripod so I can get better shots of the outfits. I haven't figured the equivalent for my smart phone yet!

The first one is a Hemlock tee dress hack, made with Liberty of London tana lawn called "English Fields".  I've made so many versions of this dress that I won't say anymore about it, only that I still love it!
This next one is the Trapeze dress by Merchant & Mills. It's done in a linen that I had in my stash, bought locally. While I fought with the instructions with sewing the facing (and lost), I really love this dress. This was my wearable muslin and I want to make more! So comfy.  (I do realize showing this dress is like showing a big ink blot but it's really a great dress to wear!)
I saved the best for last I think. The top is from the Mercury Collection from Marilla Walker.  The fabric is Nani Iro, an oldie called Fuwari Fuwari, which was re-released this latest collection. The Brumby skirt I think I've shown before. Pattern is by Megan Nielsen.  I just love the two pieces together!
There was another top that I was going to show, but I realized when I saw the photo that I need to take it apart and make something else with it. It didn't look good at all. Oh well, you win some and then some you have to work harder to win!

I do realized I am still not synced up with my IG account, and I guess that's ok. I'll just use by blog to show more or better photos of what I sew.

I can tell you my sock knitting is coming along. Come next weekend will be our last class and I should come out with a pair of wearable ones, fingers crossed!

Thanks for stopping by!  

Saturday, June 11, 2016

And more tops sewn!

I am playing catch-up once again as I made these tops in April and May.

The first two are the Ann Carolyn Smock by Ellen Mason. This pattern was released in the Spring and I really like it! This first one is done in double gauze. The floral is from Nani Iro called "En Garden".
The second version is a plain linen, embellished with some scraps of leftover linen from other projects. 

The third top is a Wiksten Tova, which I have made a few times. The fabric is Nani Iro "Fuccra Rukuen".

This last top is Tunic No.1 from 100 Acts of Sewing. The fabric is (ahem - I know) Nani Iro "Clear Heart".  I used a size L and I may size down next time , or at least adjust the neckline as it's a bit wider than I'd prefer. The colour is lovely though - I call it my Mango ice cream top. 
I know, I know I have been sewing a lot. Although this output may seem impressive to my non-sewing friends, just know that these are pretty easy things to make (eg no buttonholes, no zips).   And yes I will be back with more sewing! Aren't you glad? ;-)

My sewing will likely slow down over the summer as I have started taking a sock knitting class so I have to get my brain (and hands) back into knitting mode. I am going to try the magic loop method too!

Have a lovely weekend!

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Lou Box Top(s) for the summer

Hello! It was a busy May due to Me-Made-May. I posted to my Instagram daily but it was too much to hope I would be so organized as to blog as well!

Now I am playing catch-up with new me-mades from May (and I have a "few" - ahem). The biggest "find" for me was re-discovering the Lou Box Top from  Sew DIY.  Last year I had made my first one with some scrap fabric in a size M-L.  I thought it was ok but felt it wasn't hanging quite right. This time I decided to try sizing down to the XS-S and it's perfect for me. I love this pattern now.

To start, I made this Lou Box Top hack as I only had one meter of this lovely linen from Merchant & Mills.  I first cut the top using an adjustment line that's already in the pattern so I am cropping it. Then I cut two rectangular pieces along the selvedge to add a peplum (is that the right term?) to this. This also allowed me to capitalize on the lovely selvedge so it was one of those unplanned but happy circumstances.
It doesn't look like much on the hanger but it does look better on!  I love this top!
The second one actually started life as another pattern which did not work for me at all. I ended up taking the Lou Box Top for the "refashion".  The sleeves aren't exactly the same but it works and saved me from donating it. 
Lastly, I made this wonderful (at least to me) two piece. The top is Lou Box Top of course, and the skirt is the Easy Gathered Skirt by Pattern Runway. I've made it before and it's a keeper!  The linen (!) I loved the minute I saw it on IG. It's called Agnes Check from Merchant & Mills. I'm glad I snagged some as it sold out pretty quickly. I decided on a two piece to get more mileage out of the 2 meters of fabric. I was inspired by Ace & Jig in this choice of fabric!
I am, a bit miffed at myself for not checking the pattern placement more and I didn't really see that lighter strip down the center of the skirt (front and back). It's not until I take these photographs that I think "oh I wish it wasn't there (the lighter strip)". Oh well. I was just thinking of squeezing the top and skirt out of the 2 meters and that's what I gotta live with.

These are definitely things I will wear. I am wearing the plaid top right now. I still want to put a little pocket on it though. I had one but wasn't happy with it and ripped it out.

That's it for now. I'll be back soon with another post. Hope you are all well and enjoying some summer weather. It's been cool for a bit and now it's like someone turned on the furnace!

Take care!