Saturday, May 14, 2016

Catch up Post - Mercury trouser and Gingham skirt

Hello! I am late in posting so this is a catch up.

The first make was back near the end of April and it's a modified version of  Trouser, View D from the Mercury Collection from Marilla Walker.  The pattern is designed with some pleats at the ankle but I opted out of them at this point. I knew I would need to add length too but instead I went with the pattern as-is and wanted to see what a cropped full trouser would look like.  I did shorten them a bit. Voila!


I quite like how they turned out. I used a linen/cotton fabric which is a little heavier than I'd like for summer. I'll try for a thinner linen next time.  I am wearing the Maya top with it, which I made last year.

The next make is the Easy Gathered Skirt from Pattern Runway.  It is a great pattern and it's free! I've always wanted a big gingham skirt like this. I think the fabric is a cotton/poly mix. It was a no-label sale buy but I am guessing there is poly in there. 
I am happy to have sewn two great basics!

I've been posting Me-Made-May outfits on my Instagram account.  Which means that's why I've been neglecting my blog! I've also recovered from that bout of cold/flu but I seem to have succumbed to a bad case of heat rash this week so I am laying low for a few days.

Thanks for stopping by. Wishing you a happy weekend!

18 comments:

  1. These trousers are fabulous! I have this pattern but have not made them yet. The gingham skirt is very cute and with super big pockets too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline. I'd love to see which trouser you make! I love skirts with big pockets. I am going to sew up a Brumby skirt soon.n

      Delete
  2. I really like that length of pants and the fullness seems like it will be cool for summer. Pretty skirt. I was wondering what seam finish you use for double gauze? Hope you are completely better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie. I have a serger/overlocker. When I am trying a new pattern I will serge finish the seams first so then I have room to try on and adjust the fitting if necessary. Otherwise for TNT patterns, I will likely serge. I don't do french seams on double gauze if I can help it as I find it a bit bulky. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. thank you Melissa, yes, that's helpful. I tied French seams on a gathered seam in double gauze and it was definitely too bulky.

      Delete
  3. Oh yuck on the heat rash! :( But I love your two new pieces! Been enjoying your Me Made May on IG too. Fun to see all your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both gorgeous! Very interested in the trousers in particular; I love the pleated version and your unpleated pair, different from view C. Hmm! Just hopped over to Instagram to have a nosey...lovely photos, sewing, irises and auriculars! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I want to make another pair of trousers and probably the same but a wee bit longer.

      Delete
  5. The trousers really suit you, i love the pockets on your skirt. Sorry to hear you haven't been well - i hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su! I really needed some bottom basics!

      Delete
  6. Dear Melissa,
    these trousers look both pretty AND comfortable!
    I like the color of the linen/cotton fabric!

    Sorry to read that you did not feel well - hope you are ok now and everything is fine!

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those cropped trousers, they really look great on. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new trousers look great on you, Melissa. Of course, most thing probably look great on your tall, slim frame :) Love the gingham skirt, too--gingham always looks so cheery to me!

    Hope your rash is gone by now--stay healthy! Lots of work in that garden of yours to be done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the cropped trousers too. I think your slim ankles and beautiful shoes help to make them look very elegant and cool. I really would like to make some too but don't think they would flatter me. And the gingham skirt is really fun and will work with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the cropped trousers too. I think your slim ankles and beautiful shoes help to make them look very elegant and cool. I really would like to make some too but don't think they would flatter me. And the gingham skirt is really fun and will work with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This top and trousers combination looks so great. And the gingham skirt is just gorgeous. I am dedicated to wearing skirts, no trousers, and I don't even know why, lol. It just seems to be more comfortable to me. If I sewed I would sew one skirt after the other.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really would like to make some too but don't think they would flatter me. And the gingham skirt is really fun and will work with everything.

    บาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete