Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Two new tops - the Box Shirt and Kiomi Top

Hello! Gosh, April is almost done and I'd better get a couple of these new makes on the blog!

The first one is The Box Shirt by The Maker's Atelier. I've long admired their patterns and since it was my birthday, I decided to splurge and give them a try. The pattern comes beautifully packaged and has its own label inside as well.

The fabric is a lovely linen chambray  (or chambray linen ?)  that I had in my stash.  The fit in the body is indeed boxy but the sleeves are "fitted".  Overall I would say it fit me quite well.

 Sorry for the next fuzzy photo but it just shows I would likely wear this open, over a tank top.
The next new-to-me pattern is the Kiomi top from Lotta Jansdotter's book, Everyday Style.  This is a wearable muslin and I'm glad I made one. It's a bit just coming from the front and under the arms so I may end up lowering the armhole slightly next time.  I will wear it and see how it feels. The flip side is that there is no gaping in the armholes that I can complain about!
And the two pieces complement each other very well! 
I've been sick for over a week with the flu but the sign of getting better is that I've been able to start sewing again! Hope to do one more blog post before Me-Made-May starts, which reminds me...I gotta sign up! How about you? Are you signing up for MMM'16?

22 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That jacket is just lovely! The fit looks perfect too! The two look great together! Hope you are feeling better. I keep thinking I'm back to normal and then the evening comes and I'm coughing and feeling miserable again. Wha? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. This bug that's going around is horrid and sneaky. Just when you think you are getting better, it goes for round 2! Take care!

      Delete
  2. Lovely jacket! It looks great how you're wearing it, open over something else. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bella. The best part was being able to finally use that lovely linen!

      Delete
  3. These go beautifully together, you have a real eye for the complimentary fabrics. I have recently got the Lottta book and am keen to try the top too. The jacket is lovely, because the arms are fitted it allows the boxy shape to sing out rather than look the wrong size if it had been big all over. Hope you are on top form soon and feeling healthy again. Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I hadn't thought that about the sleeves but you're right! I hope you will get to try the Lotta book, but try them out on a cheaper fabric first to test the sizing.

      Delete
  4. Oh, both look lovely Melissa! Also together. Happy birthday!! Didn't know!

    Glad you did something from Lotta's book. I'm also wearing one of hers today, the Esme top :) This one I had to do some changes to the sleeve cap, but I learned from my first tunic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! I'm glad to hear you are wearing the Esme top. You'll have to show me a photo of it soon!

      Delete
  5. Hope you make a full recovery soon! The top and jacket look lovely together. The jacket is a gorgeous colour and fits you well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blouse is gorgeous; I've overlooked this pattern 'til now, but would definitely like to sew it now I've seen yours.I love the shape, and your choice of fabric. I love the AMH fabric too, so hard to find over here (GB), and they do look really lovely together! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! And I long to visit GB and go fabric shopping, especially visiting Liberty and Merchant & Mills! The grass is always greener...

      Delete
  7. What pretty pink finishes! And the first looks great on you open over the tank top...

    I know having the flu this time of year must be so frustrating when your garden is also demanding your attention--hope you feel better very soon, Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a nice ensemble! Actually I quite like the colour, now that you've made them into garments! Hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melissa,
    it has been a while since I commented here, please excuse.
    But what I see is that your sewing skills even got better - wow!
    The blouse looks great!
    I hope May finds you healthy and well!
    Have a wonderful new week!

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love these pinks together, which I wouldn't have expected, as the blouse is much more muted than the vest. But they both have a nice cool undertone which is what I think does it. I love pink more than any other colour. Are you doing MMM? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a wonderful combination, this top with the jacket. It looks so beautiful together, and wow, these colours, just colours that I would have chosen for me too.
    Not so good for you to be down with the flu but I hope by now you have recovered from it and are feeling your old self again

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just been catching up on all of your lovely sewing Melissa, so many new things to wear:-) It must be good making things just the way you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those colours together! like old roses, so soft and pretty and muted. The pieces do look gorgeous matched up together :)

    ReplyDelete