Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Mercury Collection by Marilla Walker - Top View B

Two posts in one day! I'm playing catch-up with some blog touch ups so I decided to also try to keep updated with my latest makes. This one is fresh off the machine, and one that I've waited for with bated breath ever since Marilla started showing peeks of it months ago.

It's Marilla Walker's latest release, the Mercury Collection and is a lovely collection of tops and pants. As Marilla explains on her pattern "Each piece of this mini summer collection is inspired by the relaxed and unapologetically roomy shapes present in Scandinavian and Japanese fashion." The design sensibilities of this collection echo a lot of the pins I've been collecting on my Pinboard.

I've been such a fangirl that Marilla sent me this for my birthday which was a couple of days ago. I will forever also remember her birthday as it's a few days before mine and the same as by BFF's.


So, I got cracking on this pretty darn fast. Here it is, View B but with the sleeve of View A which simply means it doesn't have the deep cuff.  Look at that hi-lo hem!
There are neck facings and hem facings in this top, which are all top-stitched. I took my time pining and even hand basting before I did the top-stitching from the 'right' side. That's just me saving myself grief in the long run.  The instructions called for a turned hem as part of the top-stitching finish but I just did a narrow finish on the overlocker first to reduce any potential bulkiness.   While doing this type of top-stitched facing takes more time, I really love how it looks!

This smile is for you, dear Marilla! Thank you for this gift and I love, love, love the pattern. I am sure I will make more tops and I will try out the pants too. 
The fabric is Nani Iro Mountain View, from Miss Matatabi awhile ago. Off to do more sewing (of course)! Thanks for stopping by.

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely fantastic. Something else will be in the post later this week too ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This top is gorgeous - the high-low hem is fab. I will buy the paper pattern when it comes out. Looking forward to seeing your trousers. I love Marilla's designs/style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. Marilla wanted to send me the paper pattern which I would've loved but the post takes so long to get here now (2+ weeks!) so I asked for the pdf. I love this pattern!

      Delete
  3. Loved both posts. Both tops are wonderful! I saw your instagram post and got curious about your fangirldom. Now I see. lol! Very nice indeed! You are such a sewist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. I still think I pale in comparison when I compare to you as a knitter!

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous! It's a lovely top on you, and that's so sweet of Marilla to send you such a nice birthday present! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! It was very sweet of her indeed!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this is gorgeous, Melissa. And so perfectly sewn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty, springy fabric! Those colors are one of my favorite combinations when it comes to flowers and they are just as pretty together on your top! And I love the hi-lo hem. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. Maybe that's why I love sewing in the spring time. I am so inspired by the spring flowers!

      Delete
  7. You look beautiful in this blouse. The shape just enhances you and sings out. Thank you for such an inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank YOU for such a lovely compliment! You've made my day!

      Delete