Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Dover Jacket by Blue Dot Patterns

I am late blogging about this make and it was due to the fact that (1) I did not have the right buttons, and (2) I dread making buttonholes because I couldn't get consistent buttonholes on my machine. But someone once said to me "if you have trouble doing something, keep practicing!". Good advice.

I found out that I had misinterpreted one of the steps in my sewing machine's instruction manual! Once I figured that out, I was sailing!  (It's still not an automatic buttonhole function but at least I can get it to work now.)

This is the Dover Jacket by Blue Dot Patterns. I made View B with the gathered bodice.  The fabric is Nani Iro double gauze.


I had one wee bit of trouble with the instructions on the shoulder dart. Here, again, is where my brain was having a fog moment or something. I emailed the designer and Diane very kindly emailed me back. When I saw this photo, I went "of course!"  Thank you, Diane! 
Here is the happy wearer!  The original design calls for just 3 buttons, leaving the bottom more open for a jacket and it then has a nice A-line to it.  I thought I would try making it as a blouse and did 6 buttons to close everything up.   I'm sure I will make another one and/or stitch View A next!
If you have never seen Blue Dot Patterns I would recommend checking them out. Stitch on!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you figured out the buttonholes, Melissa! I like your addition of three more to make more of a blouse than a jacket, too. Great fabric--I love blue and I love polka dots so it's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - Blue dots on Blue with blue bottons! Right up your alley, Carol! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty jacket! I have made a linen jacket with gathers too. Your fabric is most appropriate for the pattern company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! wasn't that crazy that I'd picked this fabric? I didn't realize until the end that they are perfectly matched to the company's name!

      Delete
  3. I had earmarked the pattern already and love your version! The fabric is gorgeous and the jacket/blouse looks great on you. I must make one soon! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this pattern and will make the other view soon. I like her other designs as well.

      Delete
  4. Such a nice blouse, it looks really great on you. I have never tried to make buttonholes with my new sewing machine although the manual says that it's something like automatic, lol. One day I will try that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brigitte. "Practice makes Perfect". That's my chant when it comes to buttonhole making now!

      Delete
  5. Pretty blouse, Melissa, and it looks so nice on you! Love the polka dots. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your jacket and so happy you liked the pattern! I'm sure you've figured out I love blue dots so I think blue dot fabric couldn't be more perfect. I'm a sewing teacher and when someone first comes to class and says they are scared of zippers and buttons, I say "Then make something with a zipper and buttons." What a shame to be limited to making garments without those. It's great you're encouraging others to "power through" their fears! It looks great on you too!

    ReplyDelete