Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Franken-dress and more blue makes

Hello! Spring is here. It is pouring and pouring the wet stuff but at least it's not the snowfall that's hitting other areas! 

I have made a blue linen dress, dubbed the Franken-dress, just because I was just "playing" with pattern pieces. I have patched pieces to the bodice and sleeves, I have crooked seams, etc and if I did it on a plain fabric you would really see all the "band-aids".  Because the print is a busy floral I was able to get away with it (I think).
I tried some simple hand embroidery on what was supposed to be the front placket. As I did not need buttons I decided to do the embroidery just for a bit of whimsey. The front plackets overlap at a wonky angle. 
The fabric is a lovely Japanese linen purchased from Miss Matatabi last year.  All in all, it worked, it's wearable!
Next up, I decided I needed to sew some pants. This is the 101 Trousers from Merchant & Mills. The top is the Lou Box Top from Sew DIY which I made last October but for some reason did not blog. I haven't worn it much as it was too cold by then I think. I'm sure I will make another one but use a more drapey fabric than this double gauze (Nani Iro) and maybe go down one size. Maybe.
Now, onto the trousers. They are full and drapey. For the waistband I abandoned the drawstring for a wide elastic and it worked out beautifully. The length of the trousers is really long! I am 5'11" (180cm) and I was able to get a deep hem (2"/5 cm).  
The only thing I would change next time is to shorten the rise. It is really long! The fabric I used is a cotton/linen blend purchased locally. 
I think I have a fixation on blue clothes!  I think I need to paint that wall a different colour for these photos! What do you think?

Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

  1. Blue is good, Melissa :) Ha-ha--had to laugh at your name for your new creation!! It really turned out well and it's amazing what that small amount of embroidery adds to the overall look. Does this mean you'll be getting back into stitching soon? Your shirt and trousers both look so comfy--how great that you can make an outfit to perfectly fit your height. I have a hard time finding petites that aren't "granny-like" for my short frame...

    Wishing you lots of fun times in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, another blue "fiend"! You've just pointed out a great reason to get sewing - get things to fit your tiny frame!

      Delete
  2. Lovely garments and fabric. The dress is cute. Its great to see that you have made trousers, these are so versatile. I love elastic waists for the comfort. I will be making Marilla's dungaree dress next in blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. I will be making more trousers, that's for sure! I can't wait to see your dungaree dress. I am really looking forward to Marilla's next pattern release too which will have tops and trousers!

      Delete
  3. Really great selection of garments! I love them all - i have the lou box top pattern and think it well be good for spring/summer makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su. I am looking forward to making another Lou Box top soon!

      Delete
  4. I sewed those pants last summer and honestly did not really like them mainly because of the super long rise! Not a fan! I think I may have some pattern Frankensteining of my own to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was really surprised to find such a long rise! I haven't made many pants yet so will investigate all the ways to make pants fit! Good luck on your Frankensteining!

      Delete
  5. Those are some lovely new things! I really like the embroidery on the dress, it's a really sweet detail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I'd like to do more embroidery details as I am planning to make some solid coloured linen clothes for the summer and a bit of embroidery might be nice.

      Delete
  6. I think the dress is lovely, Melissa - and it looks great on you. Love the fabric. And what a pretty top. It goes nicely with the pants. You make it so tempting to learn to sew. : ) And I'm glad to hear the wet stuff falling is rain and not snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. One day, perhaps when you are not so buy, you will want to learn to sew your own clothes. It is really fun and you get to wear your creations afterwards!

      Delete
  7. The rain is hammering hard here too. What a great blue mini collection. The trousers look lovely and drapey wise to ditch the drawstring too I think they get annoying after a while! Your dress is beautiful and you totally get away with it thanks to the fab pattern and your beautiful embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I do get annoyed with drawstrings too and avoid them when sewing, if possible!

      We still have rain at the moment but we are supposed to get a week of sunshine coming very soon! Hope it will be the same for you!

      Delete
  8. Love everything! I love the term frankendress. Very appropriate! The pants and top look great! Can I ask -- what is the rise exactly?? I've never been positive what it means. I know approximately, I think. lol! Anyway, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! Now that you ask, I am thinking I might not be using the term "rise" correctly. I am trying to say the crotch on these pants are too long and I will need to shorten the pattern and test it out next time before I sew another good pair.

      Delete
  9. You might definitely have a fondness for the colour blue, lol. I know that from my daughter in law who prefers blue to any other colour, blue in each and every hue. Would I sew my own clothes everything would be in reds, lol.
    Lovely new pants and top, they seem to be very comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute dress! Can I ask which pattern/s you used for it? gorgeous linen too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. The top of this dress comes from the Branson Top pattern. It's a lovely pattern but I goofed up by not taking things into account when I started to hack it. The back of the original pattern is "shaped" rather than boxy so I ended up having to add fabric to my boxy shape. The concept for this dress has been repeated many times in my blog. I hope this answers your question. Let me know if it doesn't.

      Delete