Tuesday, January 19, 2016

When knitting and sewing comes together

I am happy to finally show you some sewing but I have to confess to a bit of cheating as I made this top sometime last Fall but didn't get around to blogging about it. It's the wonderful Hemlock Tee from Grainline Studio. The fabric is Nani Iro En Garden from 2015.

As you can see I added some tiny pintucks in the front because I was still playing around with the pattern's sizing and the neckline was initially too wide.  The blues on this fabric are just gorgeous.

Last week I finished knitting a long skinny Baktus scarf.  The yarn is just yummy and is from Indigo Moon. Here it is being blocked. It's the first time I've tried blocking and it turned out really well, much longer than when the scarf first came off my needles.

Here comes a little more "styling" of the scarf.  It goes very well with this top.
With every project I am learning things. The Baktus is an easy garter stitch but it starts with increases, then decreases half way. You have to make sure you know where you are in the knitting "pattern" and I have to confess my mind often drifted away so that I am increasing on the wrong row.  I have left a few errors in this scarf. Oh well. I still love it as it fits snugly and is very soft.

My next project is the Nordic Wind shawl by Cabin Four. I can't tell you how many times I've started this, frogged, then...repeat. I'll tell you the story another time. I started off with a thinner yarn and I was struggling. Now that I am using the recommended Lettlopi yarn on 5.5mm needles, I am doing much better!  

The colour palette I chose is Red and the shawl is intended a gift for someone's birthday coming up soon! As you can see there are five colours here whereas the pattern calls for four. I am not sure why but when I was at the yarn shop buying up yarns for this, they suggested five as there might've been a not-enough-yarn situation from when they had knitted their shop version. I don't know. It was during the sale and my mind goes out the window during a sale and I just follow recommendations, at least for my current newbie state!  I will see whether I will use four colours or go with five. Any thoughts on this?
Here's a funny thing I've noticed with "mindless" (easy) knitting. On this shawl, on the wrong side, the row starts and ends with two knit stitches. Everything in between are purl stitches. Easy Peasy. However, I found myself one night doing the first purl stitches on this row, let my mind drift off somewhere, looked down a bit later and realized I was doing knit stitches instead! My fingers decided they liked doing Knit rather than Purl.  That was really strange to me. Has that happened to you?

Now I just have to remind myself to be more "present" during my knitting and not zone out during the easy bits!

Here's my new knitting mascot. I found her after the Christmas sales. I've dubbed her Ziggy, in honour of the late, great David Bowie.
Although I have started an account on Ravelry (MelissaEknits) I have yet to put my project notes there. Another item on my to-do list.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope your new year has gotten off to a good start!

14 comments:

  1. Nice combo of top and scarf. The Baktus looks great! I think knit stitch is universally preferred compared to purl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BJ. I don't feel so bad now!;-)

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty and feminine top and it looks good with the scarf too. The colours of your wool are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. One thing with playing with yarn now is that there are so many yummy colours to knit accessories to go with our sewn garments!

      Delete
  3. I love this top, partly as I just love blue. The scarf goes really well with it too. Yes, I have definitely done the thing you describe and ended up knitting when I should have been purling; I guess as it's the first stitch we learn, muscle memory defaults to it when brain goes into neutral! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I love blues as you can tell! It's funny about the muscle memory thing, isn't it? Last evening when I was knitting I was definitely more mindful of my knitting rather than just zone out! It went much better!

      Delete
  4. You are really coming along with your knitting, Melissa!! Lovely scarf and it looks great with the pretty blue top. The pintucks at the neckline give it such a nice touch :)

    Oh, your little mascot is the best! I got a couple of felt mice for Christmas gifts from my sons and I just can't bear to put them away yet--they are sitting right on my kitchen island!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love the Baktus with your Hemlock Tee!!! Looks so pretty together! Love how the Baktus drapes. The colors of your WIP are pretty! I'd read elsewhere of people using 5 colors for that pattern instead of just 4 too. I think it's really up to you. Might as well go for 5? It'll look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I love that colour combo that you picked for Your Cabin Four! Since you have caught the knitting bug I will mention that Baaaad Anna's is launching the newest YOTH yarns this Saturday!!! I wish I could go but will be in the Okanagan. There are some super yummy new colours and weights!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharilyn! I will check out Baaad Anna's for sure. I went there a couple of weeks ago but they had just finished inventory and was putting everything back so it was a mess. I should have plenty to look at this time! Enjoy your weekend in the Okanagan!

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a wonderful combination, your Bactus Scarf on the Tee with its lovely blue flowers. As if they were made for being together, lol.
    The shawl you started is wonderful project. I love reds a lot. But I'm clueless about how many colors your should use for this shawl. I think I'd go for five, just because I love what you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both scarf and top are gorgeous, I love the fabric.

    Nice colours on your new shawl and the mascot is very cute

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Ziggy Melissa and it's good to see you knitting too. You can find me on Ravelry under the name of Cats2stitch.
    I too find knitting very calming and yes knitting comes more naturally than purling. It's all down to the angle of my hand and wrist - it's so much more comfortable to do the knit stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I just love that top, so very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete