Sunday, January 10, 2016

Settling into 2016

I was going to say "Good Sunday Morning" but then realized it's past noon already. Time is flying. Never mind that we are into a new year, my mind is befuddled and it's all because all my little grey cells have been infected with the Knitting virus (more on that later). You will have to excuse me while I try to make sense in this first blog post of a sparkly new year!

2015 was  an interesting year for me. I can't think of the right word. Transitional? Trans-formative? Pivotal? I have had a stitching blog for years and started this blog simply because I was interested in trying my hand at sewing my own clothes, hence I was literally going to "hang" each outfit into my "Closet full of Posies".

But Life has a way of showing you new paths. My interest in sewing took off with Me-Made-May-2015, which was off set by the fact that my stitching was giving me literally "a pain in the neck". After May, my sewing continued to take off and it was so much fun. I loved sewing my own clothes! I won't bore you with my favourite makes from last year but one thing did really stand out for me and that was finding a favourite silhouette. Define it however you will - it's comfy and highly wearable.

Another great thing last year was learning how to refashion clothes, which I learned by really watching all of you out there. I learned it's ok to not like something you have made, put it aside as maybe you can give it new life later. This is what happened to my first attempt at the Hemlock tee, which was a bit too short but has now turned into a great dress since I found I had some extra fabric. I have been wearing this a lot this fall (please excuse all the wrinkles).  

Moving forward into 2016 I want to get back to sewing again (IF I can only put down those knitting needles!)  Last year I finally tackled sewing with knits so I can cross that off my list. I  made one item from linen and I want to make a whole bunch more. This year I'd like to tackle a coat (Clare) and maybe jeans (Ginger).

My "big" plans this year is to really learn more knitting skills - fair isle, socks, vest, cardigan. Meanwhile I am 'just' knitting along. I did this simple garter stitch shawl using 2 skeins of 100% merino wool.


I could've used another skein of yarn. It's a wee bit small but I love it. I am going to call it my shoulder-draper-thingy. It just covers my neck and shoulders nicely and is so soft and comfy. 
I am finding myself wanting to knit gifts for people. My hats were well received so now I think shawls are next. Another shawl like this is on my needles though I have more yarn so it will be a decent size. I will attempt the Nordic wind shawl soon as I now have yarn, which I purchased at my first ever stand-in-line yarn sale!

I don't think I've ever put myself in a stand-in-line for a sale situation, ever, but for yarn, I did! That's how bad I've been infected. I'll write more next time.

Oh yeah, a big end of year accomplishment - getting this baby to bloom!
Happy New Year! May your year be filled with wonder!

14 comments:

  1. Melissa, Happy New Year! Its interesting that you have taken up knitting and I look forward to seeing your projects. A beautiful knitting book which I have is Sweet Shawlettes (Shawls, Scarves, Cowls, Capes) by Jean Moss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out that book! Thanks for the recommendation. Happy New Year to you too, Caroline!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Melissa!

    Happy to hear you've started knitting. Me too ... sock knitting :) Also revived my blog. So many things to accomplish in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your year started as great as did mine. Full of plans and idea what to make and how to be creative. Quite obviously the knitting bug has found you and now you can't stop, lol. That's one reason why I haven't re-started knitting or crocheting. Yet. These granny square blankets are always on my mind, so maybe one day I',,buy a new crochet needle and just start. I still have oodles of yarn from the times when I was knitting like mad.
    So, whatever you do, Melissa, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sillouette, that gorgeous grey check fabric and the beautiful blue yarn. And your orchid. I rescued one once that had been thrown out after Christmas and it flowered for me almost continually for several years (I know!), but in the end it wore itself out and is no more. Happy New Year! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. Some of my orchids are amazing re-bloomers. One even has a gorgeous vanilla scent! I just keep my fingers crossed that they will keep being happy!

      Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the knitting bug really bit you hard, Melissa :) Your
    "shoulder-draper-thingy" looks great in that blue color and I look forward to watching you grow with your knitting this year. Will you take lessons? I hope 2016 is starting off nicely for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun fun fun! You are amazing with your sewing skills -- you've really grown as a sewist and it's fun to watch! As for knitting -- well, you know how that is. lol! I feel like I don't want to learn how to knit socks. Am I missing something? :D I'm a sweater type of person. Maybe hats. Etc. lol! Welcome to knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy the knitting, I am learning, but its not coming naturally to me! Looking forward to your new makes in this new year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, I found having the lessons helped me a great deal. I need someone to talk to for a show n' tell even though I also use You Tube videos. I hope you find your groove with knitting this year (if you so desire).

      Delete
  8. I love the things you've made. Those dresses are all a lovely style, comfy and easy, and still feminine and pretty too. Just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. I consider that a huge compliment coming from you, the one I have on that big sewing pedestal! :-)

      Delete
  9. I've loved reading your blog this year - you have made many things that are on my list to make, when I have some time! We have the same taste... Thanks for the inspiration and Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Jen! I hope you get a chance to sew more this year! Would love to see your makes.

    ReplyDelete