Sunday, January 31, 2016

Quick end of January post

I know. We are all thinking the same thing, right? How can it be end of January already? I feel like I am finally coming out of some kind of post-Christmas fog!

I had signed up for the Secret Valentine Exchange hosted by Sanae and Ute this year, for the first time. I was both excited and worried if I would "get it right". I dived into lots of ideas in my head but it wasn't until I actually picked up the fabrics that I knew what was "right" for me to make for my exchange pal. (I just hope she likes it!) I am happy to report that my gift has been made and now some final touches to the package then it will be mailed out in a couple of days, well before the deadline.

One of the great things about doing this exchange was to get me back reunited with my sewing machine, but not before being absolutely horrified what a mess my space was. So I spent the best part of yesterday tidying up and reorganizing once again. When you add a new hobby (eg Knitting) you have to find new space for all "the stuff". My  workspace is feeling much better now and I feel ready to start sewing again!

Now I have to show off my first Nordic Wind shawl. I thought red would be a great colour theme for a February birthday girl.  Oh, the magic of blocking! 
In my last post I had wondered why my LYS recommended 5 colours instead of the 4 colours called for by the pattern. It turned out that, indeed, I needed 5 as I could not get the size I needed with just 4.  My next shawl is already on my needles but using a different yarn recommended by my LYS.

What I am excited about in February is the Spring 2016 Nani Iro collection that should be showcased next week! Of the little peeks I've seen, I am ready to bring some of this gorgeousness home!

Here's the February page from my Naomi Ito calendar.
While I was knitting like mad to finish my gift shawl, I was catching up on lots of BBC shows. I'm all up-to-date on Downton Abbey since abandoning it for awhile after Season 4 (please don't tell me what happens as Season 6 is still being aired here).  I watched some older series of the Great British Baking Show, which I just love but we don't get the current ones here. Now I am starting  Call the Midwife, which I never watched when it was on air, so it's marathon DVD watching which has been great for getting me finished with this shawl.

OK. So much for a "quick" post. Thanks for visiting. I noticed more people seem to be reading this blog which I thank you even if you haven't commented. Just this morning, I have finally started an Instagram account (melissa_makes). It'll probably take me awhile to get more comfortable with it but I'm glad I finally can cross this off my list (did you hear that, Margaret?). ;-)

I hope you have a good start to February. I am still on a tidy/reorganize roll, which is a good thing as I have one week before Chinese New Year starts (any excuse to say I didn't start New Year's resolution on January 1). TTFN.

9 comments:

  1. This shawl is beautiful, the colours are wonderful. The great thing about knitting is that you can watch TV at the same time. I am really into Mr Selfridge (period drama) and it has a work sewing room with seamstresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Mr Selfridge but I will put that on my list! I haven't seen any hint of the Great British Sewing Bee (or whatever the title is) over here but that one would be lovely to watch too. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. Love that shawl ... I've started working on the Baktus :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, what a great choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I have more colour combination picked out for this shawl - more gifts!

      Delete
  4. YAY!!!!!! You are on instagram! lol! I'm Margaretsamplerlover if you want to find me there. Love your shawl (or rather the gift shawl)! Love that you are watching all these shows. Good choices! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous, your shawl. And that Secret Valentine exchange sounds great, I'm so curious to see what you created and what you will receive from your secret exchange partner.
    When it comes to watching TV shows knitting and stitching are equally convenient to be done while watching, maybe knitting is even a bit more convenient - if you are not sitting a certain pattern for which you have to count as well. I also stopped Downton Abbey after the end of season 4 after a sort of watching marathon. But now I'm ready to continue through season 5. Besides this I *love* some of the British mystery series, like Midsomer Murders.
    I don't have an IG account but I think I can look at other people's pictures, just not comment. Have fun with your IG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa! So nice to read your latest post and see that wonderful shawl--you have really taken to knitting and how nice that you can sit and watch those great TV show while doing so. I just love Call the Midwife, but need to catch up on the last two seasons--same with Downton. Have never watched the baking show, but I know I would enjoy it. There are just never enough hours in my day... Time to retire?

    If you take to Instagram, I might have to investigate it myself! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I am going to find you on IG right now! I am of course @weekdaysfromscratch!

    ReplyDelete