Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Knitting Bug

It's almost Christmas. Are you ready?

Well, the Knitting Bug has surely gotten hold of me since my Beginner's classes (at Three Bags Full) started in November. I've been able to knit three hats, finished an old scarf in the WIP bag (thankfully no moths visited!) and knitted a new, long vertically striped scarf for gifts. I've also come to love circular knitting and Addi-turbo needles!

The first two hats literally flew off my needles and onto the recipients' heads. Here's the third one that will get wrapped tonight.
We learned on the Boyfriend Watch Cap from Churchmouse Yarns.  The yarn used is from Studio Donegal. It's just a gorgeous yarn for this hat. 

After the third hat came off my needles, I stood up and flapped my hands around and said to my husband "OMG, I need some fresh yarn! I need another project!"  Yes, the bug has bitten and hard!  Since I didn't want to rush off to the yarn store during a last-weekend-before-Christmas rush, I picked up the ball of yarn that we were learning on, Cascade 220, and decided just to knit. You know what I mean? I just needed to keep my hands busy. It's my version of the worry beads, I think!

I'm using the seed stitch and I will need another ball of yarn at least. It may be a scarf, it may be a cowl, who knows? Although I love my circular needles I am keeping them 'free' for another hat soon. I found I had a beautiful set of these Brittany needles which worked quite well. I had a bunch of needles from over 10 years ago, the last time I attempted to get into knitting. Most are cheap bamboo ones which I don't like anymore but I have a couple of sets of Brittanys which was a lovely surprise.

Note my improvised yarn bowl. (It's a Raku pottery bowl)
Evidence of my brain being infected by the knitting bug can be found in me actually reading knitting books.  Stitch n' Bitch was a resource I had bought years ago but never gotten into. Now it seems to make perfect sense. Recently I picked up Knitting Rules and laughed and learned!  I even dream knitting projects! I hope to, next year, knit this, or this. I love Maddermade designs.

I hope to take classes to learn to knit socks. If you are a knitter, I would love to hear any advice you may have for a beginner like me.

Besides knitting, this year coming up to Christmas has seem busier. I haven't had any time (nor space) to sew but I hope to get back to it in the quiet after Christmas.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!

16 comments:

  1. Three hats and two scarves?! Wow, your needles really are flying, Melissa. So glad you are enjoying your new passion :)

    Merry Christmas, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - knitting has become a physical addiction! I told my husband it's my "worry beads". He said that was ok as I get nice things finished out of those needles!

      Merry Christmas, Carol!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! You have been productive!! One day i woukd live to learn to knit too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Su, sometimes it's when the "right" time arrives for something that it will happen. I tried knitting 10+ years ago and it never really stuck. This time though, I have time on my hands to learn new things so it's all systems Go! ;-)

      Delete
  3. You make me want to get out both my knitting needles and my sewing machine! Love seeing patterns on a real person after they've stitched it up so thank you for sharing all the pics with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. If you do get those knitting needles or sewing machine out, I'll be there cheering you on!

      Delete
  4. Its great that you have taken up knitting. I cannot knit. I wouldn't have the time to knit as well as to sew as there is so much that I want to sew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that is so true. I understand completely. For me, the right time to finally take up knitting again has come. I will get back to my sewing machine after Christmas!

      Delete
  5. Hooray for the knitting bug! Yes, it's hit hard here too. :D I've been feeling a bit lost after finishing Rowe. I even dreamed that I needed to search for my next knitting project! lol! Love the hat -- I'd love to go to Churchmouse Yarns and Teas someday, wouldn't you? Love your current knit too. And yes, I use almost nothing but circulars these days -- it's so weird. lol! I'm knitting my blanket with straights, but everything else is on circs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, the knitting bug seems to have bitten you, lol. Looking forward to seeing more ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love knitting, too, and have three cardigans to finish and a few smaller projects, though currently nothing I can easily get on with during evening tv time, so need to work on that asap. Like you I do love to have something to be working on! Thanks for introducing me to Maddermade designs which are lovely and a bit like Hannah Fettig, if you know her work. I also have Miette in my very long wish list. I have quite a few knitting boards on Pinterest (I'm Quince&Pippin) with possibles and inspiration. Are you on Ravelry yet? It's such a great resource but can be a little addictive! Again I'm Quinceandpippin, if you are on and would like to be 'friends'! I must start logging my makes on it; currently I only use it as a searchable resource. My FAVourite designers are Ellen Mason and Amy Herzog - ah, gorgeous things!! I've thus far never knitted hats or socks, and am currently struggling to master dpns. I LOVE Cascade 220, but my fave here in the UK is Drops, a Scandinavian brand and excellent value for lovely quality! Otherwise good yarn, like fabric, is SO pricey over here. Love your hat! Hope you had a lovely Christmas, Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's so great to hear from you Jennifer! I have just friended you on Ravelry. I've only just joined so will have to add more info to my profile, as well as projects. Hope to chat soon! BTW, I love Hannah Fettig's designs as well. I have to check out your two favourites - thanks!

      Delete
  8. That is a really cute beanie! I've had the knitting bug bit recently too, but I think I'm over it for a bit now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! Yes I have seen that you've been busy knitting and sewing up Christmas gifts. Those lucky guys!

      Delete
  9. Looks great! Congratulations- you are a knitter!!

    ReplyDelete