Monday, November 23, 2015

Grainline Goodness

As you know I love Grainline Studio designs. I have sewn up many of the designs using woven fabric and only this month have ventured into knits. I am so glad I finally got there as I love these. In no particular order of preference, I present to you, two Linden sweatshirts, a Hemlock tee and another Lark tee. (...and a patridge and a pear tree!...getting into the Holiday mood.)

This is my first attempt at the long sleeve Linden. I loved it right away. The fabric I used is a lovely light sweatshirt like fabric from Birch Organics. After wearing it for a day or so, I knew I needed to change up one thing. It's cold and the neckline leaves me a bit more exposed than I'd like so a tee shirt under would be required, or a big scarf.
So, for my second one, I added 2 cm around the neckline of all the pieces and that narrowed the neckline enough for me. I was happy with that.

The fabrics I used...well, to me, the star was this charcoal and grey jaguar polka dot from Echino. I bought a bit of it locally just for the front piece as it was pricey.  (You can see this at Fancy Tiger Crafts.) The solid charcoal is a knit with very fine ribbing that I purchased last Fall at a close-out sale locally. I really lucked out on this fabric as it's just super comfy and soft. The combination of the two works perfectly together.  I've been wearing this one a lot!
Next up is the wonderful Hemlock tee. I've made woven versions of this and now making this in a soft knit is a treat. The knit itself is a remnant I picked up with stripes on one side and tiny polka dots on the other. Perfect!
The last one is the Lark tee. You can see I used the remaining bit of my striped knit for the sleeves. The solid black is a Robert Kaufman laguna jersey.  I have to say I am not crazy about that jersey as it is stiffer and feels a bit at odds with the super soft knit of the sleeve fabric!
I think that's it for my sewing with knits for awhile. You're probably getting sick of seeing these. It's been a great confidence booster to tackle something I was avoiding!

I am planning to do some reorganizing of my sewing space before I dive into my next projects. I am hoping to start the Tamarack Jacket soon and go slow with it as Christmas frenzy is picking up. Also I started a beginner's knitting class to refresh my then beginner's skills from 10 years ago. And what do beginners knit? Why, scarves and hats! My son has already put in an order!

Are you feeling the Christmas pressure? 

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week!

18 comments:

  1. Fab work on the Tees! Grainline is one of my favourite designers. I'm thinking of getting the Lark Tee pattern when Jen has her annual Thanksgiving sale :p So many variations to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BJ. Jen's designs are always really good and reliable. Have fun making yours!

      Delete
  2. I would never guess that you are new to sewing with knits - great work! Super fabric and designs. Like the contrasting fabric of your Linden and Lark Tee. The polka dot Linden is my favourite - fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! You know what they say "practice makes perfect" so I just decided to make a bunch. I love that polka dot Linden as well!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melissa, you are looking great. Especially the last two one fit perfectly with your eyes and hair! Great look!

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilda! I will have to keep the black and white scheme in mind for future projects!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I think they are all gorgeous! And very impressive for someone who has only just started sewing with knits!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so on a roll! These are all great. The large polka dot linden is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. It was definitely pent up energy and a growing knit stash that cried out to be sewn!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made some really lovely tops! it's great to find a really well-fitting pattern in a style you love so much as these. I REALLY love the sage green colour of the first one. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. That green colour reminds me of of the tones of the fabrics you are using for your AC dress. Can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  8. I love the pieces you make! And I would love to have something made in the charcoal and grey jaguar polka dot fabric. :) By the way ~ I think they all look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! That fabric is always very soft and drapes nicely.

      Delete
  9. Everything looks great! You are a master at this knit fabric stuff. It does seem Grainline has nice patterns. I'm looking forward to seeing your Tamarack jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, Melissa, this is just gorgeous. You managed a lot of these Tees with such beautiful fabrics. My favourite would be the Jaguar one, it's just cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - so many great shirts! I especially love your neckline modification on the Linden pattern. I imagine it's much more wearable in colder weather!

    ReplyDelete