Saturday, November 7, 2015

Gallery Tunic, Fen dress, and a book that makes me happy

Hello! It's a very wet, soggy Saturday here and a good time to do a blog post. I have two finishes to show, both a first time endeavour.

First up is the Gallery Tunic by Liesl + Co. 

The cotton I used is from Merchant & Mills. I see from the photos that I should've used a stiffer interfacing on the collar as it's a nice collar but on mine it just flops about, unevenly at that!  The pattern is really nice. I did the tunic version and added 2 inches in length just so it will cover my butt. Next time I think I will make the dress version. Liesl's instructions are excellent.

Next up is the Fen pattern from Fancy Tiger Crafts
The cotton I used for the Fen dress is a very light cotton. It'll be very enjoyable in the summer but right now, even with a scarf around my neck the dress just feels too light.  You may see the next one in a brushed cotton or flannel. It's a very nice pattern with a few variations so a good value!
A couple of books I ordered arrived this week.  Stylish Party Dresses has been reviewed by many sewists so I need not talk about it here. I was so happy with both of them but in particular the one on the right - Lotta Jansdotter Everyday Style, which was just released this week.
Lotta's style is very simple but happy with a touch of whimsy. There are patterns included to build a wardrobe. 
I really like this two piece outfit. 
This orange-red linen dress has my name written all over it. It's not for our season right now but I am sure I will be making it for next summer. 
I just love this book, including the footwear! The book is organized by season and full of stories. There are patterns for clothing but also for bags.  Bottom line, the book is just my style and it makes me happy browsing through it. I haven't made anything out of it yet so I can't comment on how the patterns will work out.

Lastly, I discovered today that Republique du Chiffon's A/W 2015 patterns are out! They are lovely too. They are working on translating them to English, I understand. I have my eye on the wrap dress, and the coat.

Go and have a look. You know you want to! 

Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

  1. Oh, I like that coat! The wrap dress is nice too! So fun to see your version of the Fen dress. I follow Fancy Tiger Crafts on Instagram so I've seen many versions of it -- it looks like a great dress, and yours is gorgeous! Love your new tunic as well. I really enjoy seeing what you whip up --- it satisfies my sewing urges. lolol! Maybe someday I will actually sew something.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy seeing my sewing creations, just as I enjoy seeing your knitting wonders, Margaret!

      Delete
  2. Your tunic looks great, I really like the collar and the longer length. Your fen dress is pretty too. Lovely fabric as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. I am trying my first knit tee as I type this! Sewing with knits take some getting used to!

      Delete
  3. I love your dress, the style is right up my alley! It looks so sweet, and comfy and practical too. I lie the look of the lotte book, will have to look that one out. Thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. Comfy dresses are my thing! Let me know what you think of the Lotte book.

      Delete
  4. Ooooh i especially like the fen! I liked the pattern strait away but love it even more now i see yours! I'm off to google the lotta jansdotter book...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Su, the fen is similar to the Bettine, don't you think? I still have to sew the Bettine though I have the pattern! Have fun checking out the book!

      Delete
  5. Lovely makes! Thanks for introducing me to both books - Christmas list, perhaps! I like the Raymond coat, too. Have you seen Lin-net patterns, new to me? I particularly like dress pattern 80, though for me with less volume and shorter, and 90, ditto, and blouses 64 and 94 look appealing. And coat 36! Gorgeous. Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I just had a look at the Linnet patterns. Uh-oh. There are some cute things there! I have my eye on the camisole dress (No.48) for next summer maybe. I'd be interested if you do try their patterns and what you think of them.

      Delete
  6. Your clothes always look so comfy, Melissa! I just love tunics :) Do you ever sleep? I'm in awe of how many outfits you've sewed for yourself since you began this blog--amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's my new "crazy" hobby! I'm having so much fun with it. And yes, sometimes I don't sleep well as I am dreaming up new outfits! ha ha.

      Delete
  7. I've been out of the loop for awhile, but am happy to have rediscovered your blog. You do a beautiful job on your clothes! And I agree with Carol - they all look very comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've made some lovely things recently, the list of patterns I'd like to try is growing exponentially thanks to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many lovely things! I had not noticed the Gallery pattern before - your's is so lovely. And now I need to look for the Lotta book because it looks perfect. And your Roberts Pinafore is adorable! Beautiful inspiration thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the tunic, such a great shape. Off to Google the second book now looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to read a review of Lotta's new sewing book! I've been considering it, but wasn't too sure ... now I am! :)

    ReplyDelete