Wednesday, October 28, 2015

West Water Tunic

A couple of posts back I had mentioned falling in love with the West Water Tunic. It was just one of those patterns that the minute I saw it I knew I had to sew it.

To start off with, I really liked the fabric on the cover of the design and I wanted to make one similar. For my wearable muslin, I actually managed to refashion a pair of pants and use the leftover fabric from that project to make this.  It was a good thing too as I found out it's a little snug and I will need to size up next time.

Here it is looking adorable on the hanger. There's no seam down the back. I didn't have enough material so had to piece the back together. I love that collar!
Here it is paired with a favourite tee shirt (Gap). I've been trying to find this type of  tiny stripes in knit and also in linen but no luck so far. 
The next photo is just to show you that I've just sewn one snap on the top.  In the pattern design photo I had imagined that there was a hidden button placket. There isn't. It's just done with snaps although I think it would be not to difficult to modify it with a hidden button placket. 
For now, I'll just try wearing it like this and see how I feel. 
The current size I'm using is an L for a 39" bust. The next size up is for a 42 1/2" bust. I'm 40" so I'd thought leaning to the smaller size might work. It "fits" but it's a bit more snug than I'd like so I will try  the larger size next time and  I'm thinking I'd also try a View B but with sleeves. We'll see if that works!

I just finished my Roberts Dungarees Dress last night and will have to get some photos taken. That post should be up very soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

  1. Agree about the collar its a great shape. Love how it will swing about as you move too. Great Autumn piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. You're right, it's a great Autumn piece for layering!

      Delete
  2. Melissa - thanks so much for trying the pattern! I'm sorry the L was a bit snug, though boy, you sure make it look great with the 3/4 sleeve shirt! And how amazing that you were able to re-use fabric from another project for your muslin. Essex Yarn Dyed is SO divine for this collar shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a great design, Sam! I can't wait to try out another version.

      Delete
  3. Hi Melissa,

    This is a lovely pattern and so suitable for layering especially in your parts. There's no line drawing on the views. Are all the views without sleeves?

    Yes, the picture did look that it had a hidden button placket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BJ. Yes, all the views are without sleeves. When you buy the pattern there are some small line drawings. I'm hoping I can modify it to add sleeves. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. It looks lovely! the collar is especially pretty. It looks great over your Tshirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. It's a great piece for layering. Now I need to find another fabric to make my next one!

      Delete
  5. This is a great piece for layering and ease of movement. Love the collar. I know its not easy finding a striped knit (it took me some time to find one for my Sailor top) - it takes some perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. Good advice to keep looking for that fabric!

      Delete
  6. I do love this tunic, and how you've styled it. I have added to my to make list, though with probably short sleeves, for layering. I'm not sure where you are, but myfabrics.co.uk have a number of fine knit stripes. I love this one, Jersey Micro Stripes 10, but have bought too much fabric recently to indulge right now! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I live in Vancouver so miles away from you. Thanks for the tip - I will check out that website!

      Delete
  7. I love gray so this tunic is right up my alley, Melissa! The collar is darling and I hope you can size up and get a perfect fit next time :)

    Enjoy these last three days of October! I can hardly believe November is around the corner already...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I'll email you a longer reply soon!

      Delete
  8. So so pretty! I really like the collar! It looks great on you too. Doesn't look snug to me. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made on today - the sizes are on the very small side. I am usually a 'small', so I made a 'medium' as I wanted it to be a bit roomy. I should have made a 'large' for it to be perfect. I think I will lengthen it next time as well. I'm interested to know what seam allowance you used? It doesn't seem to say on the pattern. All in all though, it's a great pattern - just needs some tweaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda-- oh gosh, I am so sorry for the sizing issues--- I totally understand and your feedback is SO helpful! It is definitely the kind of piece I like to wear roomy, too-- and I definitely add on length as I have long legs and want it to really hit as a tunic! Again-- I am going to pass on all your excellent notes! Thanks for your patience and understanding-- cheers, Elizabeth

      Delete
  10. Hi Amanda. I'm sorry yours didn't fit! I know the seam allowance was hard to find. In the end I found it when I referred back to the pattern pieces. It is also noted in the instructions (sort of). I used a 3/8" seam allowance. When I finished mine and it felt snug I went back to the pattern and noticed a line that said if you want a looser fit to go up a size. That was for me! Good luck with your next one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melissa, I'll have to go and have a look for the seam allowance. Silly me! I'm going to make version A next time and have it just clipped at the top like you have. I'm enjoying your blog and seeing all the pretty things that you make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Amanda. If you have any questions or you want to chat, you can reach me at m_epp@telus.net

    Good luck with your next rendition!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Melissa! I followed you over here from Sam Lamb's blog-- and OH my! You are such an accomplished seamstress-- I am so honored you added the West Water Tunic to your stash and love what you made with it-- and, great feedback on the sizing-- this is exactly what we need going forward to let people know how best to choose sizes. Sending you all best and again, BRAVO!! bisous, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. I love love love this tunic. It is soooo my style! I have not purchased the pattern yet. I'm wondering what the finished measurements are? I am a plus sized curvy girl. I Usually wear a 2XL, any suggestions for sizing? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete