Friday, October 30, 2015

Roberts Collection - Dungarees Dress by Marilla Walker

Ahhh, this dress! You know how sometimes you see a design and you fall in love with it right away and others you tilt you head, roll the ideas a bit in that thoughtful manner and wonder "would that work for me?" Well, the latter applied to this dress.

The very talented Marilla Walker produced the Roberts Collection recently and it is a doozy of a collection.
I chose View C2 with the longer length. It was stitched with an Essex linen (linen & cotton mix) from my stash.  I did add 2" to the center front of the skirt as I wanted some gathers. Otherwise, I did not change anything to the sizing (I did size 5). 

I also did not do any of the poppers as fasteners. I did sew the sides all the way up, and just stitched down the straps with buttons. It was easy just to pop it over my head. I really love how the design is cut on the front bib and around the sides.  Note the whimsical lining!

This skirt is long. I'm 5'11" (180 cm)  and this goes well past my knees. Sorry for the next fuzzy photo. It was the only one where I could really show you the length.  
What's the verdict? Well, I love it!  Well done, Marilla!  I had it in my head that I wanted to sew one with more gathers up front (done) and in 100% linen (next time).  This was a good wearable muslin.  (p.s. My husband did give me that funny look "is it an apron...?")

 Have I tempted you to sew one for yourself?

Happy Weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Oh this dress would fit well among my other items in the closet! I love the fabric you chose :) Despite my enjoyment of the design, I too am sure my husband would give me the same look. Nonetheless, I'd still make it!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! My husband did not make any disparaging remarks, just gave me that funny "oh she's so crazy" look. ;-) I hope you will enjoy making it - I would love to see the end result!

      Delete
  2. Oh this looks fab and so comfy! I'm so glad you like the pattern and hope you get a lot of use out of it! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilla! I am sure I will. It's a bit cold to make those little tees but they are definitely on my list - with and without buttons.

      Delete
  3. Love it! I bought the pattern straight away but haven't had time ti make it - yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! I hope you get to sew your own soon!

      Delete
  4. Very tempted by the pattern. Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. It is such a fun and comfy 'dress'!

      Delete
  5. I love this dress, you did a great job! Its a similar style to my Apron Dress, though your one has gathers. An easy/enjoyable to make and easy to wear dress. I must get this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. I think the pattern is great since it is a 'collection' and there is more than one thing to sew!

      Delete
  6. Well, the question on the top of your blog post is answered: Yes, it works for you. And perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, you're too sweet - thanks Brigitte!

      Delete
  7. I love your taste in clothes! This is another winner! So so cute, and it looks great on you too! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm continually amazed at how quickly you stitch up your new outfits, Melissa! This one looks so comfy and at 5'11 I'm sure you could wear just about anything and have it look good! Can I borrow some of your height--at just a bit over 5'1" we are complete opposites :)

    ReplyDelete