Monday, October 12, 2015

Back from a sewing hiatus

Well, hello! It's been awhile. I took an unexpected break from sewing since my last post. That's because I have been gardening my heart out in September due to the beautiful Indian summer weather and the departure of the dreaded mosquitoes.

While Vancouver has seen a record breaking long, hot, dry summer, there have been lots of mosquitoes in my garden.  Normally I am a beacon for hungry, blood-thirsty insects so this was a very unpleasant gardening season.  Recently I found this article as to why certain areas had a lot of these annoying bugs.

Thankfully in September they "disappeared" and I was so happy to get outside and garden, unmolested. I decided to do some renovating as parts of the garden were overgrown and a lot of plants needed dividing. As the soil was pretty dry it was easier than usual and I loved doing some physical labour. While the gardening muse sat on one shoulder, the Kondo muse sat on the other. If we can apply to the Kondo method to our closets and inside our houses, why not our gardens? It was a revelation as I realized I had plants that I really did not much like so I dug them out and off to the compost they went! It felt great and now my garden looks a lot happier.

While I did miss my sewing machine for many, many weeks, I did manage to get out a few projects! The rains returned Oct 7 and off I went back to my little-machine-that-can!

First off is Dress No 3 by Sonya Philip of 100 Acts of Sewing. The fabric is a yarn dyed cotton from Miss Matatabi.


I love this dress. It's so comfy. The neckline is perfect. It would definitely wear well in the summer due to the light cotton. I would just need to throw on a sweater in the fall; tights + boots - done!

It's #slowfashionoctober, hosted by Karen of  Fringe Association. I've enjoyed reading a few articles/thoughts on this. One of my favourite makers is Karyn of Make Something, and owner of The Workroom in Toronto. She wrote that her preferred method is to serge the seam edges first, then assemble the garment on her sewing machine. So to support the "slow fashion" aspect I decided to give this method a try and to also slow down my sewing a bit (eg read sewing instructions more!).  It turns out that I really like this method and it's help me in getting a better fit on my garments.

I will be back soon with more finished garments. It's time to catch up on my sewing!

What's on your sewing table?

12 comments:

  1. Love this dress -- so pretty, and it looks great on you too! Great fabric! Nice that you've found a new method of sewing that you like too. Good for you on your garden too -- I need to get more clearing out going on in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. I think we all need to get more "clearing out" done. I really need to downsize my bookshelves!

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    so nice to read you again. The information about the Kondo method is very interesting. I never heard of it before - so I just had to google it. Well maybe I should read the book, haha!
    This dress looks really pretty AND comfy.

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilda. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Kondo method!

      That dress would be perfect for lounging around your pool in the summer! haha.

      Delete
  3. I like the simplicity of this dress and the check print of the fabric. Marilla Walker's Sailor Top is on my sewing table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Caroline! Sonya (the designer) uses very simple lines in her designs and therefore they are great to showcase fabrics!

      I love Marilla's Sailor Top. I just wish I could get that magazine here in Canada (without the heavy shipping costs!). Looking forward to seeing your version.

      Delete
  4. Your dress is great! Glad your garden is feeling better - mine has been very neglected this summer so perhaps i need to follow you and apply the kondo method too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su. I just love that fabric more than anything.

      I know what you mean by neglected garden. I did that to mine this summer but now I've made up for it. More gardening today as the sun is back out!

      Delete
  5. My garden is in need of a tidy up before the winter sets in. For me , I love being in the garden almost as much as sewing. The only exception being mowing the lawn, that's not fun. Great dress and I agree that neckline is very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too! I love gardening, more in the Spring than any other time though. Good luck with your fall gardening, Louise. I usually find there are lots of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! You're back--i was beginning to worry about you, Melissa. So glad you've been enjoying yourself in the garden. We don't seem to get mosquitoes here very often--so sorry yours were espcially pesky this year.

    Your latest dress looks so comfy--and of course I love the blue and white check :)

    Marie Kondo's tidying up book is so, so popular. Did you know she has a new one coming out in January called Spark Joy? I love the fact that you applied her ideas in your garden and are pleased with the result. I need to use that method on my closet!

    Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems to be the same in the garden as in the house - decluttering and getting rid of unused and unloved things makes you feel so good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete