Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Named Inari Tee in Japanese Enshuku cotton lawn

Good morning! I've seen the Inari Tee/Dress pattern from Named Clothing and was really curious to give it a try. I started off just making the crop tee and right away I realized it was too cropped for me!
I ended up added a peplum to it.

It wasn't until I took these photos that I noticed the slight difference in colour tone between the bodice and the peplum. I have no idea why, except that the peplum is cut along the selvedge so that when sewn, it's at cross grain. Perhaps the way the light hits?  It's odd because I can't really see any difference between the right side and the wrong side of the fabric!
I do like how this turned out on me with the peplum. The other change I made was to the neckline. I have a big head and although I could pull this over my head, I felt it would be less stress on the fabric if I just widened the neckline. I also used a bias binding to finish the neckline. I did the facing finish first and I pefer the bias binding.

Oh, the fabric. It's a Japanese textured Enshuku cotton lawn from Miss Matatabi. I noticed that Frances has restocked this and you can find it here.  The fabric is wonderfully light and airy!

Have a great day. I heard that a store locally is now selling Merchant & Mills stuff. I'm off to check it out this morning - so excited! I will report back!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa. I really like your creation here, the tee shirt and japanese cotton, colour and texture. Just lovely. I may have to follow your good example.... Thanks for the inspiring post. Nicola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliments, Nicola! I would love to see what you make!

      Delete
  2. This is really pretty! The difference in color between peplum and the rest is not noticeable to me. So odd. You definitely have to report back on the Merchant and Mills! I've been lucky enough to stumble across their stuff in various places, but nowhere close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. I will report back on my visit. It was too short and my pocket book too small!

      Delete
  3. What? You don't want your tummy showing like a teenager?!?! Ha ha :) What a great idea to add to the cropped top, Melissa--it turned out very cute. I really don't think the color variation is noticeable to anyone but you... Glad to see your sewing is keeping you busy this summer. I'm gearing up to resume Santa Sundays in September (try saying that fast five times!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, Carol! I like a cropped top but my idea of a crop top and this design are a few inches apart! I owe you a big catch up email this weekend! Yes I need to get back to Santa Sundays! Yes yes yes. If I keep saying it maybe it will come true!

      Delete
  4. Ooooooh this top is gorgeous! And yay for merchant and mills merchandise near you! Have fun shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su! It was a good trip and even got to do a blog post about it!

      Delete
  5. This top is so feminine, love it. Have to say though I can't see a colour difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I'm glad the colour is just fine!

      Delete