Friday, August 21, 2015

From disaster to a save, thanks to a TNT pattern


I am a big fan of the Seamwork online magazine but I have never made any of the patterns yet. When the Mojave kaftan came out I knew I wanted to make it up right away. This was a time when I threw caution to the wind and went with a good fabric, much to my regret.

My other regret is that I forgot to take a photo of my Mojave before I took it apart! I thought I had but nope; you'll just have to take my word for it. It was too wide on top for me and the shoulders kept sliding off. I pondered modifying it by pulling the center seam in but somehow that didn't feel right neither. So I took the idea to sleep to maul over - bad idea too as I kept tossing and turning trying to figure out a solution. I woke up the next morning very sleepy eyed but with a solution - I will turn it into one of my TNT patterns: a Wiksten Tova!

Basically I cut off the length to make the tunic. With the fabric saved I cut new front bodice pieces plus collar. I had some fabric left over from my initial project, which I used for the sleeves. I managed to  fudge the style with the seams, ifyou can see what I mean.


All in all, I went from crying to smiling! I was so happy to be able to save this make as I love the fabric. It is an organic cotton lawn called Cherry Blossom from the Monaluna Haiku line

I would like to try the Mojave again but I would definitely play around with the bodice/neckline first.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, how clever to save it that way! This Tova is beautiful. The fabric is stunning so glad it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I breathed a big sigh of relief when this worked out!

      Delete
  2. OMG, I love how this looks on you! I am so impressed with how you salvaged the piece. It's wonderful! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! I've learned a lot watching other sewists!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant save and a wonderful end garment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilla! I'm sure you are one of the sewists I've learned a lot from!

      Delete
  4. I have had no luck with the seamwork patterns either. At least you have been able to save this make and turn it into something beautiful, i think this top will be great for autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? So it wasn't just me? I wonder why that is. The pattern certainly looked wonderful but it didn't work on me neither! Ah well, I have learned a lot from this, one of which is - it's always good to buy just a little extra fabric!

      Delete
  5. Oh Melissa, this is looking so so good on you, the fabric, the pattern, everything. Great that you could save it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brigitte! If it wasn't for the nice fabric I might've just tossed it in a corner!

      Delete
  6. I am loving this Tova, especially the rich colour and floral print. So glad you were able to salvage this gorgeous fabric. It looks really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! I was doing the happy dance with this one, at the end!

      Delete
  7. Bravo Melissa to have saved the beautiful floral fabric and sewing the handsome Wiksten Tova! Like you I've not tried any of the patterns of Seamwork. But the Nantucket shorts is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete