Friday, July 24, 2015

Some garments refashioned

O Happy Rainy Day! In the wee hours of this morning, a good deluge of rain FINALLY arrived. It's been so dry here that fire risks are high, lawns are brown and water restrictions have started tightening down. So, I am sure there are a lot of smiles this morning for the rain. The forecast said there won't be that much rain then we'll go back to more sun and heat. In the meantime, we are grateful for what rain we can get! So, that was the weather and happiness report for you!

I've done some refashioning of garments I've made but not worn much. The most recent make was my Robe Aubepine which you can see here and here. Here's a before photo.
The Before version was a Nani Iro double gauze lined with cotton lawn. It was "too much". I felt like a wrapped dumpling. So I ended up taking the lining out and removing the sleeves. Here's the After. 
In this After version I am leaving the drawstring off for now and see now I like it. I added big pockets too which I am happy with.

My next refashion is the Schoolhouse Tunic I made last fall.  I tried to work a v-neck in which I ended up not liking.  So once again, more taking something apart. I ended up tracing the neckline from the Wiksten tank (I think) and I like this a whole lot better. The downside is that with my taking the garment apart and then putting it back together, I've lost some seam allowance so it is a bit snug in the arms especially. I may end up passing it onto a friend.
My last one is a complete remake of a top I made last year.  I just found I wasn't wearing the previous version much and luckily I had some left over fabric I could piece together for the back.  This is, of course, another Scout tee!
See the pieced back. I ended up having a nice little pattern created down the center. Totally unintended and a lovely surprise. 
You can see by the wrinkles I have been wearing it quite a bit!

This whole refashioning or re-making a garment was totally inspired by seeing the work of other bloggers. It's good to know there are ways to get the most out of every garment made.

Have you done much refashioning of your garments?

Have a lovely weekend!

9 comments:

  1. With alterations, your Robe Aubepine dress is hugely improved - so much better! Goes to show, better to alter it than to bin it. Goodbye dumpling look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was unfortunate the lining just made that dress so much puffier. I do hope to make this dress again, unlined, in a linen.

      Delete
  2. They are all totally transformed! Great that you have been able to turn them into garments you will wear and love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su. I am glad I did tackle them instead of letting them languish in the closet! Hope you are having fun on your holidays!

      Delete
  3. Glad you will now be able to wear these. I love refashioning charity shop clothes, but not thought of my own me mades. I may take a closer look at some of my earlier and less worn makes and see what potential they hold. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Louise. I haven't tried refashioning charity shop clothes. I thought I would start by tackling my own makes that hadn't worked out for me first.

      Delete
  4. Melissa,
    your refashioning was really successful. Although I still liked the first version of your Robe Aubepine. It had such a "girly" look then. But I am sure the refashioned version of it is much more comfortable!

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice!! I really really like the refashioning of the first one -- it looks so much better! The drawstring just detracts from the look altogether -- don't put it back! Too bad on the second top getting snug in the sleeves with the refashioning. Love the Scout top -- definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha--stuffed dumpling! That sure doesn't sound very comfortable--your new look is a big improvement. So glad you are able to refashion these outfits and not just giving up.

    Glad the rain has come!! We are in our hottest week of summer so far--ugh! Thank goodness for AC and lots of work hours this week at the cool library :)

    ReplyDelete