Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Happy Canada Day!

Here we are at July. Half the year is gone! Today is Canada Day and I have been saving this very appropriate garment to show you. It's my well-loved Scout tee pattern in an old Nani Iro print that I have been saving.

The pocket with all that blank space is right off the selvedge. I had hoped to embroider a maple leaf on it but that's yet to be done! I do love the Scout!

Next is a new to me pattern - the Tiny Pocket Tank. I had about 4 m of this batik fabric I bought on sale last year hanging around.  It's done weird things in the wash. It's softer but the colours seem more faded. Anyway, it was good to use for this as a first try.  

The fit was pretty good. The only change is a slight shoulder seam adjustment at the back to fix any gap. I am not sure I've found the magic fix for this gaping problem for me yet. Next time though I would raise the neckline slightly and adjust the placement of the tiny pocket. It looks like it's in an odd spot! 

We've been having a heat wave here, or as much as a heat wave as we define it here.  I've been wearing more dresses and skirts. My friend Margaret noted that she wished I would model the two dresses from my last post so she can see about what it really looks like on a person. So, the first one is the Alder shirt dress which I have been wearing often in this weather! 
This next one is Robe Aubepine, which I think looks great with the fit on the bodice but not sure I like the short sleeves. Proportion-wise I think I would prefer the 3/4 sleeves, or even a sleeveless? What do you think? 

I want to sew another Alder and maybe a tank style dress. I've been thinking Southport, or maybe the CaliFaye Basics dress.  Have you tried either of these, and what did you think?

What's on your sewing table?

12 comments:

  1. Love your Canada day top, its fab. Some lovely summer sewing here, I am really tempted by the Alder, your version is beautiful, perfect in all this heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise. The Alder was a really lovely surprise. I didn't think I would wear it as much as I have, which just means I have to make another one!

      Delete
  2. Love everything! I hope you do do a Maple leaf on your Canada top. That would be great! I love your modeling of your two dresses! They both look great! As for the second one, I do think it would look cute sleeveless. it somehow looks like it wants to be a sundress with no sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nudge to model the two dresses, Margaret! I thought people might be sick of selfies by now. They do help me 'see' the dresses on me much better too. I will try removing the sleeves from the Robe Aubepine! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Happy Canada Day, Melissa--your red and white top is so appropriate. Both of the tops look great, but my favorite is the second one. I look horrid in horizontal stripes (broad shoulders) and always prefer sleeveless. I agree with Margaret--I think the second dress is begging to be sleeveless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I would never suspect you had broad shoulders! I will try removing the sleeves from that second dress, thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love your patriotic scout tee! And your other makes are also gorgeous,!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su! I didn't used to go for specific colours for "events" but now that I am sewing my brain seems to lead me that way!

      Delete
  5. So nice to have a TNT pattern in the Scout Woven Tee! The Alder looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BJ! TNT patterns are what keeps us sewing I think!

      Delete
  6. Love the Califaye patterns I have a dress on the go for my girl and I am working on the drop waste skirt for myself! So my vote is obviously Califaye :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, it's so nice to have a vote of confidence for the Califaye patterns! I will try out the Basics dress. (I've heard great things about True Bias too but that will have to wait another time!) Thanks, Sharilyn!

      Delete