Thursday, July 23, 2015

First try at a Dottie Angel frock

Last year as I was tentatively dipping my toes back into sewing waters, I went on the Internet (of course) to do some research and subsequently did the "Alice-down-the-rabbit-hole " thing. Images popped up everywhere, so tempting, so tempting. One of the things I stumbled onto were these "granny chic" dresses by Dottie Angel - I was smitten with them. 

To make a long story short, Tif has released her Dottie Angel frock pattern via Simplicity 1080 recently and it sold out almost immediately online. We can't buy paper patterns from Simplicity any longer in Canada so I was double stuck! I really didn't want to wait another month or two to order it! Luckily for me,  a kind American friend did me a big favor and got a copy of it from JoAnn's in the States and sent it to me.  Thank you, Carol!


I did a wearable muslin with some quilting fabric. I really wish I had the fabric in rayon. I liked the print but the quilting fabric was a heavier kind. Initially I made the ties that the design called for and when I got the dress down to the fitting stage, I decided to try taking them out. I like them better without the ties on me.

On the back I decided to insert a left over piece of bias tape to create a casing and then insert a skinny elastic to give it some shaping. 
So, this is how it looks on me.  The jury is still out on this one. I may try to go with a Medium next time for a better fit in the shoulders (?) and also get something more flow-y, like a rayon.
The dress is long, even for me, so I took about 2 inches off the bottom then had a 1 inch hem.

I've been re-fashioning some items so I may show them in my next post, hopefully tomorrow! Thanks for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. I love your version of this dress! I have been trying to get a copy of the pattern but its all sold out in the states as well as the UK so I am just going to have to wait (which I am not good at!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Su. I was so lucky my friend lives close to a Jo-Ann's and I could get it before the reprinting! I will look for a more drapey fabric though for my next one. I hope you will be able to get your hands on one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cute dress. I like the back shaping and big pockets. Making this dress in a rayon (with French seams) will make it lighter and flowy for the summer and give it a lovely drape too. I am making culottes at the moment in rayon - it is such a fab fabric for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried rayon yet and would require shopping for it, always a dangerous thing to do! Looking forward to seeing your culottes in rayon!

      Delete
  4. I like this a lot, the choice of colours really works even if the fabric is a bit heavy. Good for the heat in summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I do love that orange!

      Delete
  5. Glad you got your hands on that pattern. The dress looks cute on you! Pretty colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I am dying to get my hands on this pattern! It is backordered yet again :( But we are going to the States this weekend so perhaps I will come across one- until then I am knashing my teeth in envy- but in a totally good way!

    ReplyDelete