Sunday, July 12, 2015

Cali Faye Basics : Dress

A good Sunday morning to you! It's raining. Yippee! Normally you would not hear us say that here in Vancouver but it's been so dry in our province and there have been so many fires, so some rain is most welcome. It also means the temperatures have cooled down a bit and we can sleep better! Maybe that will help my brain to sew better too!

I have been sewing sundresses for the hot weather. The first is a wearable muslin of the Cali Faye Collection's Basics Dress.  The fabric is a Kaufman chambray

I cut the largest size xxl which is for a bust of 39.5".  While the pattern calls for lining this dress, I opted just to finish off the top with bias tape.  The back of the dress is designed to be quite low but I cut it much higher. I added about an inch to the center front of the neckline as I usually do with tank tops.

I am very surprised by the length of the dress. I am tall (5'11") and usually dress lengths end above the knee for me. This one skimmed the bottom of my knees. My next one, I might shorten it for the summer. I added the patch pockets. I could've added in seam but I seem to be on a patch pocket kick at the moment!

Overall, I am pleased with the fit of the dress and I can see why it's called a Basics dress as you can change it up depending on the fabric you use. I can see this as a nice layering piece.

The forecast is for rain for another day or so then back to the sun and heat.  More sundresses on the way too!

How's your summer going so far?

5 comments:

  1. It looks great! Perfect to keep cool in when the sunshine returns! Does it stay on your shoulders ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Su, the straps stayed on my shoulders just fine. However, I am not sure how well they would stay put if I had sewn them with the original low cut in the back. It's a lovely pattern though.

      Right now I am so enjoying the cooler temperatures and a bit of rain! The sun and heat are coming back in a few days! Hope you are having a good summer so far!

      Delete
  2. Looking good! So interesting that it came out longer than usual. Hope you stay cooler once the sun returns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Melissa! Cannot go wrong with chambray methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks perfect for the upcoming hot weekend!

    ReplyDelete