Sunday, June 21, 2015

Three Dresses

When last I left Me-Made-May, I wanted to sew some more dresses. There were three new-to-me patterns to try. I will start off with my favourite of the finishes, the Alder Shirtdress by Grainline Studio.
The fabric is Alison Glass handcrafted which I just love. This final version has navy buttons which I am happier than the first version which had pearly buttons.  While I love pearly buttons in general, every time I looked at the dress, all I saw were those buttons - too distracting! Navy buttons just let the fabric shine through.
Fit-wise I am happy with it. I made it just with a mandarin collar. If I make another one, I would lengthen this a bit.

Next up, Robe Aubepine by Deer and Doe. It is fully lined and I am just so pleased to have tackled lining for the first time and survived!  The fabric is Nani Iro Birds Eye ranman. I just had enough for short sleeves but next time I would like to make the longer sleeve and use a solid linen and do without a lining. Overall I am pleased as it fits me surprisingly well!

Last dress is one that didn't work out too well.  It's Version 3 of the Darling Ranges pattern. I had made Version 1 earlier. I had used size XL and felt it was a bit roomy in the bodice so I changed to a size L for this one. Bad move. The armholes were tight and I just managed to close at the bust. Overall though it didn't work for me.  Neither did the cut of the dress in this version.  I can vouch for the fact that quilting cotton, in this case, just did not help the cause!
Oh well. Two out of three ain't bad! 
Thanks for stopping by. Happy start of Summer!

6 comments:

  1. Your three dresses are lovely - even if one was more of a miss! Good job finishing - it might inspire me to finish up a few WIPs around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I try to finish my projects, even if they don't fit well. Those just get passed on to someone else! Have fun finishing your WIPs!

      Delete
  2. I think they are all fab!i love your marshmallow flowers mine are not out yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su. I have worn the Alder a few times. The Robe Aubepine though is too hot to wear, what with it being lined! We are having hot weather.

      BTW, I didn't know you call them marshmallow flowers. That's a great name. We call them hollyhocks here.

      Delete
  3. I would love to see some selfies of you modeling the dresses. I love both of the successes! Great fabric choices! Sorry the third one didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All three dresses are lovely especially the Alder shirtdress. You have a lot more hits than misses! I always cut my fabric a big larger to be on the safe side, as I would hate it to be too small/tight. I never make a muslin but then my clothes are not really fitted so I can get away with it.

    ReplyDelete