Sunday, May 31, 2015

Me Made May 2015 - Day 31 & Finale

Well, here we are! Made it! It was a lot of fun and I so enjoyed playing along the sidelines as I didn't "officially" join by making the MMM pledge. I want to thank Zoe of 'So,Zo...What do you know?' for organizing this fun event. 

For the finale, Blouse Marthe transformed into a dress. I first made it as a top here, but ultimately decided to make it longer into a dress.
I am not entirely convinced this will be the last version of this dress. I am not getting as much wear out of it as I'd expected so will see if there's another transformation coming, or maybe, simply, I just need to remove some of the fullness. Time will tell. 

So, what did I learn from Me-Made-May? 

I like blue a lot more than I'd realized.

Before this month I tended to make tops, tops and more tops. So this month I focused on bottoms and dresses. Here are some of them:
Cropped pants using Alison Glass Handicrafted batiks

I made tops too but only because I had discovered the Maya pattern at the start of the month, so 3 Mayas.
I had an epiphany of sorts too and it's response to things like "wow, you are making a lot of clothes. Don't you have enough already?" Ahhh, that question. When I was working, I liked to have a 'healthy wardrobe'. OK, I like clothes and of course I've had that question before. Now that I am not working, the question is even harder to answer. I felt guilty. Clothing has a connotation of vanity attached.

So why do I keep making clothes? Why do YOU make 5 versions of your favourite pattern?

The answer came to me this way. I took up acrylic painting maybe a year or so ago. I  kept creating new paintings. No one asked me "don't you have enough paintings?" It's expected as part of the creative process you keep painting. 

Well, to me, ever since I took up sewing again last summer THIS has become my canvas, my outlet for my creativity.  I can't stop creating so I don't.  As I get more comfortable with learning about sewing, I am creating my own versions of patterns to suit myself. I so enjoy that.  Sewing allows me to use both sides of my brain, the logical side to learn new skills, and the creative side by creating a garment that suits me and expresses who I am. Yes, I want to learn to dye, block print and all sorts of stuff I don't even know the names to. I am just having so much fun there's no reason to stop. 

I can't wear my paintings (yet) but I can with my newly sewn clothes. 

It's been great to see what other people are making. I want to learn to knit this fall. I want to make a cardi! I want to knit socks! So I have a year to at least one of those things done, right? ;-)

I am also pleased to have a few new readers who have left comments on my blog! That was another lovely outcome from this month -  connecting to other sewists.

What have you taken away from Me-Made-May this year? 

12 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed following your new makes and all of your outfits, you are a very talented sewist! I have learnt so much through me made may, it has been a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Su, I am so glad to have made your acquaintance this month! Me-made-May has been fantastic for learning and making new friends!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, you did it! And it was a lot of fun to read your posts throughout the month and to see all the new clothes that you created.

    And you are so right - why should you stop to create your outfits, there is no reason for it. I sometimes get the same question from this or that friend "Don't you have enough stitched things? What will you do with them all?" And I always say "It's the process of creating something that I love." But I doubt if everyone can understan this, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brigitte! I'm going to send you a longer reply via email.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dress! Hooray for you and the month! You did great! I enjoyed reading about what you learned from the month too. I agree with what you're saying about sewing being your art now. It's not a matter of how many clothes you have at all. I never even thought of that while I read all your posts for the month. I was just thinking in terms of how you are learning and evolving as a sewist. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your support and comments throughout the month, Margaret. I'll be sending you an email soon too.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading about your Me Made May makes - thanks. I suppose you could call yourself a Textile Artist, one who wears her own art! I also enjoy creating and expressing myself through sewing - I find it so therapeutic. Sewing is good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Textile Artist! Yes, I like that term, thank you! I agree with you it's sewing is very therapeutic. I tell my husband, when he mutters as he looks over at my fabric purchases, that it's cheaper than going through therapy and medication! ha ha.

      Delete
  5. What a great response to why you keep sewing. I also find with each make that my sewing gets better. Love wearing something I've made knowing its the best I could do. Really enjoyed seeing your MMM15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Louise! I can vouch for the "sewing gets better" as you gain more experience. I am much more at ease at the sewing machine, but also my brain gets more creative with what I want to do, little tweaks to make something my own!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations are in order Melissa! You sailed through MMM2015 with flying colours! It's been interesting going through the journey with you albeit as an observer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the gathered pockets on your Nani Iro top!

    ReplyDelete