Friday, May 1, 2015

Happy May, Happy Maya!

Happy First Day of May! How did we get here so fast? I know that Me-Made-May 2015 has started today. I didn't officially join up but I think I will play along on the sidelines. It will be really fun to see all the me-mades! I wonder if pattern and fabric sales have traditionally had a spike for the months of May and June as a result of this wonderful event.

So, for me, I will start with a recent new made, the Maya from the talented Marilla Walker.  I started off with the basic, simple top using remnants that I had. 


The front is Nani Iro Sen Ritsu Germany, the back is a  Robert Kaufman chambray. I had purchased some Nani Iro remnants last year and I am so pleased with this piece I wish I had more. Sometimes photos just cannot really show you how pretty a fabric is (and sometimes it works the other way).

I love the Maya! It is so cute and comfy. I cut out a size 6 according to the chart. I had to take in the sides a lot (an inch each side) as it was too wide but now it's just grand. I plan to try a longer sleeve version as well as the button up version too.  I also like the stitched down facing even if my first attempt at top-stitching was a bit wonky at places.  Thanks, Marilla, for a really nice design!

Another reason I am so happy today is that this morning my intrepid postman brought me this...
A package from Frances of Miss Matatabi.  She does such a lovely job of wrapping your purchases. It feels really special, like a gift.  Inside, here's what I bought. Two Nani Iro 2015 on the right (gorgeous blues!), and two Japanese cotton plaids on the left. I saw the latter recently and wanted to try new things (plaids) and thought I might use at least one for the Maya. We shall see.
This post has a lot of blues and greys so I thought I would pop in a bit of pink in here, a tree peony from my garden. 
I feel this is going to be a great sewing month, with a lot of inspiration of Me-Made-May 2015! I just hope I don't spend too much looking and not enough time sewing!  Have you joined MMM 2015, or just want to play along the sidelines like me?

Have a lovely weekend!

10 comments:

  1. This looks so pretty and I love the fabrics you've used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilla! Your Maya is a great design and I look forward to many more variations made up!

      Delete
  2. I love your maya, it looks really pretty - perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su. I am looking forward to getting lots of wear out of this one!

      Delete
  3. A very pretty top! Love your new fabrics too. You're brave to try plaids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret - look, I've finally figured out the comment problem! :-)

      Delete
  4. Your Maya is lovely and the Nani Iro Fabrics are wonderful - such great quality. I have been thinking about buying the Maya pattern but I have something similar already (tunic pattern) so am not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It took me awhile to go for the Maya pattern but I am glad I did. I really like the stitched down facings.

      Delete
  5. I love how all of the sewing patterns have names these days--the Maya is so pretty, Melissa. And what gorgeous fabric--wouldn't it be nice to receive a package like that in every postal delivery?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I love love love this little top- this is a must sew!

    ReplyDelete