Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Stylish Dress Book, Blouse B

Here's the second new top I have made recently. It's from the Japanese sewing book, Stylish Dress Book - Wear with Freedom. The blouse is B. I had to do quite a bit of fiddling with this one.
According to the size chart, I cut out a 16. It was way too big. I took in 1.5 inches on each side seam. I did the neck binding twice and it was still too wide. It looks fine in the photos here but it would slip and I would have a tug o' war with the neckline to keep my bra straps from showing. 

Since I had already taken the neckline binding off twice to add more gathers. I wasn't about to do it a third time. Instead I just put in tucks in the centre back and front and it's a much better fit.  I hid the front tuck with a button.  Next time I think I will be sizing down 2 sizes.

Additionally I only had so much fabric so I had to lessen the gathers in the lower sleeve. I will fix that next time when I have the right fabric for this. I think I will lengthen the top a bit too.

Overall I like the style!

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate hearing from you!

8 comments:

  1. You're on a roll Melissa! Two lovely peasant like tops. I like the sleeve detail and the fabric.

    Clever idea re the button, it has a nice effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pretty style. I like these peasant type blouses. You're so good at this sewing thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely and feminine top especially with the blouson sleeves and gathers. The fabric is pretty and compliments the style of the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blouses are lovely. I've bought the Clothing for everyday wear book from that series

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this awhile ago and wasn't overly happy with it- yours looks much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this fabric and the sleeves on this one, Melissa--the button is so cute and a good way to hide the front tuck. I'll bet that is one comfy top to wear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa! How funny that I found that you did this top! I ordered this book this week, and I am doing my research in advance about the sizing (did not even my any fabric yet)!! So, after many pages, I fall on your blog.

    Many people have said it runs big, and now I read it from you too. Oh boy, it makes me a bit scared, heh. You said following time you would size down 2 sizes, did you do another version? Would love to hear. You can write to my gmail address if you prefer. I like the style on the books, but do not know if i will be sizing down 1 size, without adding the seam allowances or something. My shoulders are wide though, even if I am petite, so am not sure if sizing down too much is good for the shoulder fitting. :) Your top looks really great! I am sad that you found it was much work, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melissa! How funny that I found that you did this top! I ordered this book this week, and I am doing my research in advance about the sizing (did not even my any fabric yet)!! So, after many pages, I fall on your blog.

    Many people have said it runs big, and now I read it from you too. Oh boy, it makes me a bit scared, heh. You said following time you would size down 2 sizes, did you do another version? Would love to hear. You can write to my gmail address if you prefer. I like the style on the books, but do not know if i will be sizing down 1 size, without adding the seam allowances or something. My shoulders are wide though, even if I am petite, so am not sure if sizing down too much is good for the shoulder fitting. :) Your top looks really great! I am sad that you found it was much work, though.

    ReplyDelete