Friday, March 20, 2015

My Heart has Sprung

Yes, it's a terrible pun. The first day of Spring has arrived, even if all I hear right now is the relentless rain on the skylights. But, my heart has been made happy, OH SO Happy, by the finishing of this blouse!
My first attempt at this blouse can be viewed near the end of this post. This is a Japanese pattern and now appropriately paired with some gorgeous Nani Iro 2015 double gauze! Yes!

Like any Nani Iro groupie, I was eagerly awaiting the Spring 2015 Nani Iro releases.  This was one of the first ones that Miss Matatabi got in.  I debated between the yellow and white colourway, and this one, called Poppy trip. I am glad I got this charcoal grey and white.  I really liked the border and plotted for days (and nights) as to how to make good use of it.

So, I decided to stitch up M142 again. I created seams down the back and the front (instead of a button front), leaving a few inches open at the top (so I can be sure to be able to pull it over my head). I actually hand basted the seams first to make sure the borders lined up as nicely as I could. Double gauze can be slippery!


I think I've used just about every inch of the border!  I just noticed the border looks very navy blue in the photos. In fact it's charcoal gray but in certain lights it shows its blue tint! Genius! The fabric also has little gold metallics.

I just love this blouse! Since my first try I went back and graded down the pattern for the body and it's much better.  I love that I was able to creatively use that border. I think this is the first thing I've made that's made me jump up and down with glee!
I took these photos of two grand dames of cherry trees while out for a walk only a few days ago. I fear their blossoms are now sodden with rain. 

Our spring has actually arrived a month earlier than normal. We've had a lot of sunshine so I can't begrudge the rain now.

Besides thanking my stitching friends for supporting me on my new sewing blog, I want to welcome new followers. I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for visiting, everyone. Have a lovely weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I think you are so smart to do practice tops first, Melissa, before cutting into expensive fabrics! This one is so beautiful--lovely and soft looking. And I like the way you did the neckline without the buttons. That is great that you've created a piece that makes you jump up and down (just like I would be doing if I saw those amazing cherry blossoms :)...

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative, your idea with the border. It's such a lovely blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely top! And creative use of the borders. Most importantly it fits well and you're happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can see why this blouse makes you happy. It's wonderful! Love the fabric, love the use of the border and selvedge (?)! So creative and pretty! Fits you well too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely blouse, Melissa!
    I love the combination of fabric and border.
    AND I love the photos of the cherry tree blossoms - wonderful!
    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out so great! Love the use of the salvage! Also this spring is out of this world- the cherry blossoms are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete