Monday, March 9, 2015

McCalls 6514 and Belcarra

Awhile ago, I saw the McCalls 6514 pants, view A, on a post at Ivy Arch. Funky, baggy pants! I remember those! So, I decided to give them a try. I found some nice chambray on sale. I've never sewn with chambray before and it was lovely and drapey though it frayed a lot.

McCalls 6514
So, the pants...it was HUGE to start with. I ended up taking in the sides, but the biggest adjustment was taking up 2 inches in the rise!  While the pleats look nice on the hanger, I'm not sure they are that flattering on me.

With some leftover chambray, and a small remnant of Nani Iro Little Letters, I sewed up a Belcarra, by Sewaholic, for the first time.  While it fitted nicely in the body, it was loose up top. I have this problem when it comes to raglan sleeve + low neckline combination. I took in these seams on the front and back and it fitted better but still not entirely comfortable. Perhaps when it's summer and it's hot, I will appreciate wearing this more!
Belcarra by Sewaholic

 Doesn't this combination look like perfect loungewear?
That's it for this post. Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that does look like a great loungewear outfit! The top looks nice on you, from my view! If I ever started sewing, I'd be doomed -- I'd have no clue how to adjust things so they fit better. You are good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ensemble looks great, Melissa.
    I love the colors of the fabric you have chosen to combine with the chambray.

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice ensemble. Maybe because it's supposed to be a harem pants that why the rise is 2" longer!

    Love the pretty blue fabric of the top. I think the Belcarra pattern has too wide a bateau neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Melissa, this is a really great ensemble. And it looks very comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a comfy looking set, Melissa! I am impressed with how you adjust things to make them fit your body--I would probably just give up and throw in the towel :) Love that shade of blue you used in the top!

    ReplyDelete