Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My first Cabin

When I first saw the Cabin pattern, it was over at Fancy Tiger Crafts' blog. Amber and Jamie whipped up two cute Cabins and I've been pondering whether to go for it. Finally I saw Teresa's over at Dandelion Drift, and I took the plunge! 

This is my first attempt at the pattern and as usual, I look for fabric already in my stash. This cute navy and white fabric complete with giraffes, elephants and monkeys was purchased a long time ago when I was going to make a quilt for my son. Obviously that never happened (he's now 25!) but I could never let the fabric go. Here it has been put to go use, supplemented with some other scraps.



When I am in the "zone" of trying new sewing patterns, I do my best with reading instructions then I just figure things out (aka being impatient!). In this case, it would've been better if I had checked out the online tutorial on the weltless pockets.  I still like my pockets but next time I will follow the tutorial.

Sizing wise it's obviously too short on me for a tunic. I had to lower the bust darts. I think this pattern is probably modeled on someone much shorter than me.  Thank heavens for the dark fabric to hide all my changes. Otherwise it's a cute pattern. I like the pleat at the back.

I will wear it for awhile and see. I am already thinking of another small change to make in my next version.

Now, back to preparing the next batch of projects! Happy Sewing!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I really like this pattern!!!! Is that just quilting fabric? Or a jersey fabric? I like the fabric too. It looks great on you, despite being too short to be a tunic. I have to put this one on the wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting top especially the pockets and the yoke detail at the back.

    Again, I've not heard of Blue Prints patterns until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you couldn't part with that fabric after all these years, Melissa--it really is darling :) The pleat in the back looks great and the yoke gives it a unique pop! Very comfy looking even if you feel that it's a bit short for a tunic...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors of that fabric, Melissa. And the "cabin" looks grad on you (I never heard about the word "cabin" for a top LOL)

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a great pattern, I will have to check it out

    ReplyDelete