Monday, November 3, 2014

My first make out of knit fabric - Julia Cardigan

November! How did we get here so quickly? Well, I'm glad Halloween is out of the way. Now I can start to think a bit about Christmas!

I have recently finished my first project out of knit fabrics, thanks to taking this course on Craftsy. It was very helpful.  This is the Julia Cardigan from Mouse House Creations.  It's been made all over the blogosphere and I can understand why. So comfy!

I made this first one out of some nameless on sale fabric. No idea of fiber content but likely a cotton blend.  The fit is designed to be close to the body and it does that. For winter, I'd like something big and roomy so I might go up a size or maybe two? 

 My next piece is an unfinished one because I am not happy with how it turned out. This is Blouse K from the Japanese Stylish Dress Book : Wear with Freedom.

It's huge on me. It is meant to be a short cropped top that's full but I think I might've done something wrong and I can also say the instructions for the neck binding, size-wise, was confusing. Subsequently the neckline was huge and I attempted to take some pintucks in the back and a couple in the front. That helped but I am not sure ... I am going to leave this unfinished for now and hope some creative muse drop some hints on what to do with this one. 
This last bit is for any local (Vancouver) blog readers. A couple of months or so ago, we had a new fabric store open which was great news.  Fabrics Etc is located on Kingsway, just east of Victoria. It is more of a clearance store but you can find some good deals, just don't expect any "new releases". 

You know the saying "when one door closes, another one opens"?  Well, it seems to be working out backwards in this case because while we have a new fabric store, an old established one is closing.  Gala Fabrics on Granville by 16th is the only place where I could find a roll of Swedish tracing paper. So last week I went there to get another roll and found a "closing out" notice. Yup, by Christmas. Meanwhile all the fabrics are 50% off. I don't have the pics to show you but I got...a few things (cough, cough).

BTW, they are out of Swedish tracing paper now and won't be stocking it, but Fabrics Etc carries it now.

Happy Shopping!

3 comments:

  1. What's swedish tracing paper? I say ignorantly. lol! Love your new pieces! It's hard to tell from the pic what's wrong with the second piece. From the pic it looks lovely! So was sewing with knitted fabric hard?? Such a bummer about one store closing, but at least the new one opened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous work on the knits! Initial garments are the most scary but you'll gain more confidence as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just met a gal who works at Fabrics ect and was really excited to hear of their opening! Can't wait to go visit it in person!

    ReplyDelete