Sunday, October 12, 2014

Free form sewing - meet the Scout Cardi

I had the most fun with this Scout.  I had already cut out the Scout tee for a 3/4 sleeve version, much like the one I stitched in my last post. I decided to hack this second Scout and give in to what I call "Free Form Sewing"!  I decided to make this a little cardi(gan).
  • First, I cut the Front right down the middle. Then I used some skinny selvedge pieces for the front plackets.You can see in the photo that the strips are of uneven sizes as that's all the fabric I had to use. I had not planned to make this, otherwise I might have made better use of the fabric placement. 
  • I just put in a little snap closure for the top, for now. I might change this later but I like how this looks. This fabric is just perfect for this cardi design. 
  • Ahh, the pockets - totally free form cutting and they are zany (read: crooked!). I used some precious favourite scraps of fabric to trim the pockets and the sleeves too. Love! If I had more of this fabric I would've used it to bind the neckline and hem.

It was a really fun and interesting experience to just make changes as my whimsy took over. I think this may become a habit!



 Thanks for stopping by. Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed! You are really creating your own things now! Love how this came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting hack! A Scout cardi indeed with pockets and all. Just in time for the cooler climes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this may be my favorite yet, Melissa!! It looks so comfortable and I'd say your first attempt at free-forming was a definite success :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love how this turned out! Hope your Thanksgiving was cozy and full of food!

    ReplyDelete