Sunday, October 5, 2014

Easing into Sewing for a new Season

I find the transition of season shakes me up a bit, in a good way I think, but indeed it is "shaken, not stirred". There seems to be so much to do, inside and outside.  I just need to be more organized...;-)

One way I've organized my sewing is to try and cut a few projects out at a time then sewing them up is much easier and faster. The first one in the line-up is the Schoolhouse Tunic by Sew Liberated. This is my second make and I've modified the neckline and the inverted dart in the skirt - just something different I wanted to try. The fabric is Nani Iro Fuccra .
The next one is Top 64 by Merchant & Mills. The fabric is Cat Nap in Purrfectly Happy by Lizzy House. I think this whimsical print is purrfect for the very structured Top 64 - a very sweet balance. But funny story - I wore this yesterday when out at one of those big fabric stores. This guy gave me such a funny look like - that woman is wearing a print in our kids' section! Hmmm. I smiled. I will wear it Halloween night when giving out candies to the kiddies and see if anyone will comment on it. I love it, by the way.

The last, and my favourite, is the Scout tee with a wider 3/4 sleeve, in Nani Iro Pocho.  I am so glad this is THE pattern that is easy to stitch, looks and feels great on me. This is my equivalent of eating chocolate when I'm feeling blue. Thank you, Jen!  She has hinted at new patterns this fall so I am keeping my fingers crossed - hope it will be soon!

What's next you ask? Well, in the above photo, there is a black and white gingham brushed cotton lying on the ironing board. It's currently cut in the same Scout tee as in this Nani Iro, but I am pondering whether I should hack it.

The fabric on the left in the photo is a pink and white gingham brushed cotton as well. Both were those "no name" good deals. I have more of the pink (2.4m?) and haven't figured out what to make yet.  I also want to advance to more challenging patterns (for me) so buttonholes are next. My buttonhole foot was ordered awhile ago but it is finally being shipped to me so I gotta put it to good use!

With September and the return to classes at the community centre, I resumed my acrylic painting class. Here's my first finish from a photo of apple blossoms.  It's fun to get back to playing with paints again.
What's on your sewing table?

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate hearing from you! Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. I love the fabric you made the Schoolhouse Tunic out of! So pretty! I like that design too! All your pieces look great -- you are becoming an expert sewist. Hope you enjoy doing button holes! Your painting is wonderful too! I've never painted -- just drawn with pencil (and a lot of eraser. lol!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Melissa, how pretty these tops are. The fabrics you chose are just perfect and the look that the guy in the fabric store gave you is ceratinly a reason to smile about and at him, lol. Funny. Looking forward to seeing your next piece.

    Great to see that you are back to painting with a great new piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely! The last one is my favourite too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're getting this sewing thing down to a science, Melissa!! Great job on all, but the third is my favorite, as well... (of course, it has blue in it!!)... So glad you've returned to your painting, too--you definitely have talent there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the fabrics you've chosen! Yes you should do a hack on the Scout.

    Lovely painting Melissa, it looks fabulous and so life like. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im dying over that Nano Iro! Also love how the kitties turned out! I sewed a top for my girly out of the same fabric!

    ReplyDelete