Monday, October 20, 2014

100 Acts of Sewing - Dress No 1 & Tunic No 1

On this sleepy Monday morning, misted with rain outside, we stay cozy inside and I present to you two interesting (to me) finishes. But first, let me tell you about the designer.

The two designs come from 100 Acts of Sewing, a project started by Sonya Philip a few years ago. I only recently came upon this by accident, but a happy one at that. You can read about the artist's statement here. I was intrigued by the idea of creating 100 dresses in one year, and was delighted to see all the variations sewn up. The designs, as you can see in her shop, are very simple and has clean lines. I like that. I like the temptation of the blank slate but with a good foundation for me to stand on and play!

So, I started  simply by making the sleeveless dress (No 1) and the tunic (No 1) "as is" so I can set a baseline.



I adore the fabrics, which I found only after I had purchased my patterns.  I also found them locally which was the bonus.  Serendipity at play! The dress fabric was one I saw here first and loved, so when I saw it at my local shop I had to get it. The design is from a 2011 line from Lotta Jansdotter. The second fabric just grabbed my attention and appealed to the artist-wannabee in me! So colourful, so full of fun!

As to the garments themselves - I love the dress and can envision multiple variations. It's a very gracious A-line and the pattern encourages you to make the neckline high or low. It has fabulous BIG and deep pockets. This dress is good for layering.  The tunic is short and boxy and so cute! Right now this piece is too cool to wear in this weather. If I want to make one for the autumn weather I would raise the neckline, and also make it tunic length. The pattern comes with 2 lengths, one for a top, one for a tunic. 

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. That little sleeveless tunic is fantastic! Perfect for a day like today with a cardi, some tights and tall boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I love that second fabric -- I have a few fabrics from that particular designer and love them. I'd love to see the dress on. :D So are you planning on making 100 items of clothing in a year??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just amazed at how quickly you are putting together an entirely new wardrobe, Melissa!! They both are so cute and look extremely comfortable. I'll be cheering you on if you decide to do the 100 dresses thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Melissa!!!!! I've been away too long!! Look at all these makes, I love them and have had a lovely browse and will have to come back and check out more of your links!!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete